vi. jeepers, jinkies

✧⁺❀ C h a p t e r s i x . . .

The night of the Halloween dance swiftly came around and Violet stood in the corner surrounded by Cobra Kais, who had all come dressed as skeletons. Wearing a fitted purple dress, lilac headband and green neckerchief, Violet had come as Daphne Blake, her favourite cartoon character when she was younger and her inspiration growing up.

Daphne, who was always depicted as the ditzy, fashionista, damsel in distress felt painstakingly similar to how Violet was perceived. Yet, when it came down to it, Daphne was intelligent and she was brave, breaking the stereotype she was placed in. Violet liked to think she was the same or at least tried to be.

Johnny had an arm wrapped around her waist and she anxiously played with her neckscarf, desperate to leave. He started to play with the skirts of her dress and she could feel his cold hand start to edge up the back of her thigh. Not wanting to cause her scene, she pressed her sharp nails into his hand and he surrendered.

Seeing a girl wearing an orange turtleneck, pink skirt and glasses enter the far side of the gym, Violet grinned. There was the Velma to her Daphne. Nicole Rhodes, emerging with perfect timing, giving her an excuse to leave her boyfriend.

Johnny and his friends were already engaged in a conversation about how they were all planning on getting high later, which gave Violet the chance to sneak away unnoticed. His hand was still on her waist, so he looked up when he felt her walking away, but with the pace at which she strode to the other side of the gym, she couldn't hear his calls to her. Well, she could, but there was no way in hell she was turning back.

As she approached Nicole, she smiled. "Jeepers, Nic, you look amazing."

"Jinkies, I could say the same for you."

It had been a couple of days since she had last seen Nicole: the occasion when she had left to go to Freddy's house. This left the pair of girls on a slightly tense note. Not wanting to continue this sense of unease, Violet decided to put on her placidly positive mask to hide any cold feelings. She had mastered faking happiness due to her home life. As long as she had a smile on her face, nobody could see her tears or her breaking heart.

Unfortunately, Nicole knew her too well and looked straight through her as though she were a doll made of glass.

"Look, I know the last time we saw each other things ended up a bit... tense," Nicole admitted. "I was mad at you, because you knew how long I'd liked Freddy and when I finally had my chance to get with him, you were trying to stop it. I went round to his place and we made out a bit and then he asked to have sex with me. I thought I'd want to, but I couldn't get what you said out of my head. That I was worth more and if he couldn't even take me out on a date, then he was a piece of shit. Well, I don't think those were your exact words, but you get my point. You were looking out for me and being a good friend. I'm so sorry."