ii. cruel summer

✧⁺❀ C h a p t e r t w o . . .

After having spent the majority of the previous night under the starry night sky with Daniel, it was a surprise that Violet had managed to get any sleep at all. She had managed to sneak up the trellis along her ruby-bricked house and into her bedroom window in silence, allowing her to be perfectly positioned in time for the morning.

A more logical solution would have been to sleep at Nicole's house, but her parents often chastised her for sleeping in the apartment complex they so heavily looked down upon. Violet couldn't have cared less, but her parents would likely ring the police and a man (or girl) hunt was something she would rather avoid.

One aspect of returning to school life Violet had particularly been dreading was cheerleading practice. It was yet another activity that her parents had forced her into, believing the feminine and graceful sport to be more becoming for the girl than karate. Violet was increasingly tempted to throw herself off the top of a cheer pyramid and break her nose, just to piss them off. As if the activity couldn't have been any more unbearable, the head cheerleader was Ali Mills, who took great pleasure in bossing the Monterrey girl around.

The cheer uniform consisted of an emerald t-shirt and grey shorts, whose feeling was so itchy and uncomfortable that Violet wondered whether they had been crafted from sandpaper and stinging nettles. Sweltering heat only worsened the situation and the sensation was beginning to become unbearable.

Violet picked up her water bottle and raised it over her head. She squeezed the sides tightly and allowed the refreshing liquid to cascade completely over her body. Her hair became submerged in it and the shirt darkened to jade, as it clung to her figure. She was grateful the school's primary colour was not white, as her top would have been rendered completely transparent.

Dripping from head to toe normally had two signature looks: following in the seductive footsteps of Phoebe Cates in Fast Times at Ridgemont High or appearing to have escaped a waterboarding at Guantanamo Bay. On this day, Violet wasn't sure under which category she fell, but she didn't particularly mind. She would rather be drenched than melt under the heat.

Suddenly, from behind her, she heard a mix of a gasped and mumbled, "She looks so hot!"

Taken aback, Violet span round to see who had made the comment. She was ready to slap said person, however when realising it was Daniel, she laughed. "I'm hot?"

He blushed, instantly embarrassed. "No, you don't look hot as in attractive. I meant the temperature's really high today and you looked warm. I don't mean that you aren't hot in the other way, because you are attractive, but not so much that I noticed. Well, that's not true, I did notice you were hot, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to say - "