Chapter Nine

Sisi opened her eyes

Sisi opened her eyes. A still form lay beside her, his lips parted slightly for his soft snores to escape. Her gaze moved to his face. Even asleep, Remi was a handsome man, she thought, smiling. And more than his physical features was his heart. His decision to keep her company through the night, expelling her nightmares, warmed her heart.

She shifted, realizing then that his arm was wrapped around her. Not wanting to wake him up, she tried to wiggle from underneath his arm. But he leaned in closer, tightening his hold on her; his warm breath tickling her face. She raised his arm gently and replaced it on the bed. When she tried to rise, he grabbed her arm.

Gasping, she turned fully to find him smiling up at her.

"Well?" He raised a brow, his smile filling her with an unfamiliar warmth.

"Well?" she forced the word through constricted lungs.

He leaned in closer until she feared—desired—his kiss. "Well, Sisi."

Embarrassed by her line of thought, she shrugged. "Well, you can let go of me now. I'm awake." She averted her gaze to the closet.

"Really?" He touched her face, forcing her to look at him once more. It was then she saw the teasing glint in his eyes. "I hadn't noticed."

Reaching for her pillow, she shoved it in his face.

"Ow!" he cried, pushing the pillow to the floor.

"It's time for you to go to your own bed!" She rose to her feet and tried to pull the covers off his legs. "Or you can get out of bed and make yourself useful."

He won the battle of the covers and pulled it tightly against himself. "Nooo!"

Sisi stared down at him and fought the urge to smile. He was being nice to her. It felt odd, but she liked this part of him. She smiled and sat back down on the bed. "Thank you," she said.

She couldn't remember the last time she slept so well at night. Being close to Remi made her feel safe. She tried to remember the words he spoke that brought so much peace to her, but she couldn't, even though she knew it was a verse from the Bible.

He stared back at her and smiled. "You know, I actually slept well. I'm officially cramp free!" he proclaimed.

She shoved yet another pillow in his face. When it fell off, he looked stunned. She laughed so hard, she didn't realize he had planned an attack. Next thing she knew, she was smacked across the face with a pillow. Too weak to fight back, she laid back, laughing.

..........

He listened to the sound of her laughter with a smile on his face. Something in him wanted to keep her from smiling and laughing for as long as he could. Fully satisfied that they could finally get the past two days behind them and actually be friends, he climbed out of bed and turned to the door.