Life with Royalty, End of Freedom (1)

Han Baozhai went back to the residence of the imperial scholars to check on Li Hua. Li Hua was just outside their residence and was looking at the scroll which stated her examination report. They both were transmigrants but what amused them was that even at the time of the ancient era in that alternate universe, women were respected and accepted in the same way as that in their modern era. And the Emperor too was very kind, lenient, strategic and had many modern characteristics in him. And in truth, both of them even doubted if he really belonged here or was similar to them.

Han Baozhai went to Li Hua and pulled her away behind a bamboo pavilion. This was their favorite place for chatting and also the place where they first met and came to know about their origin. All they knew was that they came to this world as young children, around the age of five year old children. Their real age was in twenties but in this life, they started their journey anew.

None of them knew what the reason was or why they were here. Neither did they know what happened to the original owners of their body. But all they could do was to play their own role in this world to survive. And honestly, this wasn't something bad for them.

They were just roaming around and giggling away next to the stream that flowed next to the pavilion. The cherry blossom trees were in full bloom and the cold wind made their long hair flutter. They sat down to discuss how they were going to spend their time, now that they could relax after the imperial examination. And it obviously was fun and they felt proud to see the upside down faces of the boys who studied with them.

But studying in the ancient time wasn't something very easy. After all every era had their own level of difficulty in things. And this was also one of those few times when Han Baozhai topped, because there was also someone else who was her rival. And that person was Guizhong. The perfect example of a prodigy.

They both were just enjoying the view when an eunuch arrived behind them both.

" Reporting to Miss Han Baozhai. The Emperor wishes to have a few words with you at his court and also wants to congratulate you for your achievement. Kindly follow me."

Han Baozhai acknowledged, "Eh? Oh! Ah, yes, certainly. Lead the way."

Turning to Li Hua, she whispered, "It appears I must depart now. I would have liked to continue our conversation, but never mind. We shall reconnect soon."

Li Hua smiled, "Fortunate indeed! Haha, certainly, let's schedule a meeting at a time convenient for both. And all the best, hope you don't get into some awkward mess again, hehe!"

And indeed her being called away was not something of a new surprise, after all she was quiet favored by the Emperor as Minister Han too was very close to him.

Soon she arrived in front of the Exquisite Palace. Even though all the scholars resided in the area under the Imperial Palace, it still wasn't very common to see them roaming around this area. After all this was where the assemblies were held and the Emperor gave audience to his subjects and ministers. Also the living quarters of the Royal Family was located here.

Han Baozhai silently went through the long corridors and came in front of the Court Room. The eunuch gave his greetings and the large door opened to welcome Han Baozhai.

Upon her entrance, she knelt down, offering her profound respects to the figure seated before her.

"Rise."

The doors sealed shut behind them, and the ambiance shifted to one of gentleness and admiration.

"Congratulations, as anticipated of the daughter of our most trusted and efficient Official. Pose your inquiries, and your desires shall be granted. A ceremony for the accomplished scholars at the Royal Banquet shall be arranged."

Han Baozhai spoke, "Your Majesty, I am deeply honored. It's merely that my victory was facilitated by a lack of formidable competitors. I am grateful for your generous offer. Meeting you directly is a pleasure, but I must respectfully decline. There is nothing I wish for..."

"Dispense with the formalities. We have crossed paths on numerous occasions, and I have advised you to regard me as a father. And this aversion to desires is unwarranted. Embrace your youth, and exploit the opportunities afforded at your age!

In any case, I am familiar with your disposition and foresaw this response. Hence, in the forthcoming week, a grand Imperial Banquet will transpire at the Imperial Palace. It is an assembly graced not only by our own Royal Family but also by dignitaries from foreign realms. Consider it a social challenge. Your lack of social finesse is evident, so let us gauge your adeptness at such gatherings.

Moreover, you have reached the age of eighteen. If any of the Princes capture your fancy, you may choose them as potential life partners. What are your thoughts on this matter?"

Han Baozhai stammered, "That is an exceedingly high honor. I truly believe I am not worthy of such a grandiose—"

"Enough. Consider it an order; you are obligated to attend this banquet."

Han Baozhai replied, "Then I have no alternative but to accept? Thank you immensely, Your Majesty!"

"Very well, I have conveyed my message. While I would relish further conversation, duty calls at the court. You are free to depart now, enjoy the company of your friends!"

Han Baozhai murmured her acknowledgment and, after bowing once more, withdrew from the Palace. Her heart, however, raced uncomfortably, as she indeed never enjoyed social gatherings.

The notion of the Emperor seeking to integrate her into the Royal Family felt peculiar. She couldn't shake the feeling that there must be an undisclosed motive behind such an offer. After all, she originally wasn't the one who normally topped the examination. It was Guizhong who topped most of the time but wasn't able to this time, as she went out to help her father in a mission given by the court.

Despite Guizhong occasionally outperforming her academically, she never experienced the personal summons or the privilege to select a prince at her leisure...

As she pondered the Emperor's motives, Han Baozhai couldn't escape the lingering uncertainty that veiled the unfolding chapters of her life within the Imperial court.