A second miracle

Years flew by for kyojuro, with not an ounce of the same comfort from that day remaining for him as he is thrown into a den of demons. Along with many unfortunate souls, younger or older than he, for some the sight of these wisteria would be the last. Stronger and more empowering than he was 5 years ago, he marched forth with only the thought to survive in his mind.

Left and right a hideous demon faded, left and right a shade of crimson dripped from his skin, left and right another child dead and devoured. Restlessly he fought and saved, repeating this cycle until the sun came rolling by. Marching on, resting, eating, treating, and smiling the shifts of night and day continued for 6 more times.

Each time the number of people alive decreased by 6 or more, and each time he was 6 more hours, minutes, and seconds away from the end, until finally the sight of purple came shrouding his sights again. He was lucky to survive, but he couldn't say the same to the heavily decreased amount of bodies left standing around him. His heart ached for the dead, his body ached for his fatigue and small wounds, and his head ached from this lingering thought he had slowly forgotten.

But before long, his thoughts were taken away as he walked up to receive his branding as a newborn slayer. On his way home, he visited a place where souls rest, telling a tale of his survival to his beloved mother.

"Haha-ue! I survived the final selection! I tried to save as many people as I could, but it was harder than I expected. I wonder how chichi-ue does it. I promise to become stronger, so I can save more people and make you proud!"

He happily told despite his shaking legs and fatigue, ignoring the fact he was speaking to a stone tablet as if he really was facing his mother. After hours of talking, all that was left aching was his mind and heart. Rising to his feet he bid his farewells before moving onward through a slightly different route. It was a familiar yet unfamiliar route of a forest, a regular forest that could be seen anywhere. But the more he walked the more his head itched at a thought he couldn't remember.

He knew it was something important, something he didn't want to forget. yet with all the hardships of training himself and raising his brother from a disheartened father, he couldn't think of it enough times to have a clear memory. The closer he walked the closer he felt to remembering, then suddenly he heard the faint echoing sounds of rain and footsteps on soggy soil.

He saw his younger self, wearing a black and grey hakama attire running away with tears. He followed the mirage, watching as it ran through the forest wherever it took him. Leading him around as he watched with curious eyes, and once it stepped into a puddle, everything came back to him as he stood before the cave once more.

His eyes grew wide with anticipation, wondering if he could be at that wonderful place once more. Without hesitation he skipped in deeper and deeper through the cave, only for his hopes to be shattered coming face to face with a slumbering bear. He smacked his mouth shut preventing himself from a gasp, slowly backing away as quietly and discreetly as he could.

Once the time felt right, he made a dash for his life. He didn't have the stamina or will to kill a bear, it was neither a murderer nor a demon, he didn't see fit to kill it. After all it would be too tragic for ones life to end, when they simply woke up from a slumber to see a lost child who wondered in by mistake end their life.

He exited the cave with a great relief, just barely a few steps out of the shadow of the cave and the setting light of the sun. Panting he looked back towards the way he came and then towards his right the way where his village was, taking in a deep breath he held it for few seconds to calm his anxious heart before sighing out a disappointed sigh.

It was heartbreak after heartbreak today, as he wondered if tomorrow would be better, after all good and bad luck takes turns right? Straightening himself up he began to walk once more, whispering the name that had always been in the top of his tongue but couldn't say until now.

"Kohana..."

Just as he said so the image of the maidens smile appeared in his head, and his world transformed once again. Kyojuro was bewildered from the sudden blast of a different atmosphere around him, unbelieving if he really arrive at that place again after so many years. The moment he stood up to see the very same path, he became overly elated like one would feel receiving something they dearly yearned for.

Kyojuro quickly ran as fast as he could through the meadows, and finally the sight of her emerged in the distance. Left completely unchanging, unaffected by the flows of time she sat at the very same area but a distance more to the front and right looking upwards to the same place. He felt like he was back in the body of himself five years ago.

When he realized so, his footsteps slowed down as a realization dawned on him. How tiring, how lonely, she must've been by herself unmoving for an eternity he couldn't even fathom. Clenching his fists tight, he began to run again close enough for him to be heard.

"Kohana!!"

He exclaimed stopping right behind her to catch his breath with his hands grasped on his knees. Kyojuro watched her slowly turn around and smile up at him, holding out her hands to cup his cheeks. The world around them quickly changed with flowers blooming even more lavishly than before, changing into a barrage of warm colours of fluttering merriment.

 The world around them quickly changed with flowers blooming even more lavishly than before, changing into a barrage of warm colours of fluttering merriment

Her narrowed eyes glistened along with her smile, telling him all he needed to know. That she too, had greatly missed him.