The girl and the blood red rabbit

"Have you been here all by yourself?"

Kyojuro asked finally finding himself some rest by her side. Kohana answered him with a chuckling like smile, but still no words came from her lips.

"You didn't move much from the place the last time I was here, why is that? Are you perhaps waiting for someone else?"

She shook her head from side to side before landing her gaze back on him. She took notice of the small scraps and cuts on his body and the fatigue that plagued his condition. Her smile slightly faltered along with a few wilting flowers and a cold passing breeze, sending a shiver through kyojuro.

But this small blunder didn't go past kyojuro unnoticed, as he had a theory in his mind.

"Kohana?"

He called watching her hold up one of his arms with a cut, with a more sad and worried smile.

"Oh this, I was participating in the final selection and it ended just today! It's something you must go through to become a demon slayer! It's just a few cuts it should go away so-"

The moment kyojuro realized what he uttered, it was already to late to take back. He had completely forgotten Kohana was a demon due to her gentle aura, and the fact he never sensed a drop of blood from her like other demons. Kohana could feel the arm in her hand tense up, understanding the anxiety of the kind soul before her, though at the same time she couldn't quite grasp what he meant.

Kyojuro was prepared to receive the full wrath caused by his words with a squint of his eyes, but instead a increasing pain inflicted upon his body it instead decreased. Exuberant green vines with the shine of a hundred fireflies grew around him, fluttering away his wounds like the shedding of a dragons scales. He opened up his eyes meeting with hers once more, a gaze that seemed unaffected, or perhaps confused.

"I apologize kohana, do you not dislike me? For becoming a demon slayer, and telling you who is a demon..."

She tilted her head once more, the Lilly adorned the side of her veil grew grey.

"Do you not know you're a demon?"

Her eyes slightly squinted along with a widening smile, along with the colour of the flower shading itself a light green.

"Then, do you not know about the progenitor of demons?"

"..."

She stayed unchanging, a silent language that only kyojuro has come to understand.

"Have you...ate humans before?"

The last sentence he spoke revoked a much more dramatic reaction from Kohana. The world turned a mixture of white, red, and blue, shock, anger, and sadness. Her smile grew so small from that one statement, that if he were not facing her so closely it would seem as if she wasn't, along with her eyes that grew so wide slightly shivering like a scared child.

She violently shook her head, hugging kyojuro in her embrace telling him how ludicrous that statement was. But as she gave him her answer, only more questions grew in his mind. How did she come to be? How is she sane? How was it possible she didn't attack anyone?

Kohana pulled away from him after a worthwhile moment, pulling against something on her antlers with kyojuro squinting from the sharp yank.

"Ow!"

Looking up a lock of his bright yellow and red hair intertwined with a vine wrapping around her antlers.

"Ah my hair got tangled, hold still I'll get it out!"

Kyojuro smiled, reaching a hand up and the moment the tips of his fingers touched the cool, smooth, yet rough surface of her antler, Kohanas eyes grew wide and glowed like a bright moon, and so did Kyojuro's. He found himself in a strange place, a mountain? A garden? He couldn't tell but it was a lonely place, without a single sight of life other then the assortment of blooming trees.

He felt like he was watching a movie, without knowing it's plot or summary it was all a mystery. But he could tell it dated back to hundreds of years before his birth, or even the birth of his grandparents. It seemed like a night like any other, but duller like a painting painted with dried paint that lost its pigment.

Eventually the protagonist of the show appeared, a lonely, poor, and abandoned girl about 20. With dull brown hair and emerald eyes, a tattered yukata holding a familiar face.

"Kohana?" Kyojuro thought.

The heroine continued to walk around the secluded place she called home, lacking anything for human survival. She slept in caves with a blanket of warm air from a campfire, ate what the nature around had to offer, but never did she descend the mountain to blend with her kind.

He watched the heroine spend her days alone, feeling the specks of her emotions that she left behind. But never was loneliness included in any of them, she lived a simple cycle of life, pure and deprived of problems that she never came to know, until the story neared its last.

She sat in her cave with a white rabbit for company, ruffling through it fur and warming her cold reddened hands. The comfort was brief, and so was the instant her hands dyed a deeper red and the warmth of the rabbit went out like the fire that burned beside them. She laid down on the hard cold ground, with a bedsheet of warm red made from her own body. Though she was now warmed, she didn't feel comfort but a excruciating pain inflicted by the same red liquid from another being she did not know.

She looked up at the bunny that laid with its fur dyed like her clothes, she reached for it with a tear in her eyes the first kyojuro had ever seen. A breeze of pain and loneliness was left, not a single hint of the former happiness she left behind.

"It hurts, it's cold, it's lonely, the world seems so dull, I want to live, I want to be warm, I want a world that I can admire endlessly, I want to escape" he saw her eyes yearn, giving birth to her very own castle in exchange for her own humanity taken away by the devil. The existence of the small flower, disappeared from the world of man that day, with no one to remember or to grieve. Swept into her own where only she will know.