010.

──── chapter ten

{ 🔮 }  · we got a dam

{ 🔮 }  · we got a dam . ݁ ٬٬ ࣪

GRIEF COMES IN WAVES. At first they are so strong you feel so swept away, so out of the place. They come at such random moments, replacing a feeling of normalcy with those familiar tears. Yet in time those waves lessen and let the good memories flood in instead, they allow for waves of smiles and warmth, those funny or sweet things that were said. So, ride that wave, ride it in that boat called love. For heaven loves you always and heaven loves them too.

At the edge of the dump, the group found a tow truck so old it might've been thrown away itself. But the engine started, and it had a full tank of gas, so they decided to borrow it. Thalia drove. She didn't seem as stunned as Zoë or Grover or Percy. Endora was in the middle of this whole mess. She knew death was to come, yet she couldn't do anything about it, she couldn't just change what the Fates already had set

"The skeletons are still out there," Thalia reminded them. "We need to keep moving."

She navigated through the desert, under clear blue skies, the sand so bright it hurt to look at. Zoë sat up front with Thalia. Endora, Grover and Percy sat in the pickup bed, leaning against the tow wench. The air was cool and dry, but the nice weather just seemed like an insult after losing Bianca. 

Endora was playing with one of her many rings ─ black obsidian, one Alabaster got for her. Alabaster; she didn't even come to think of her brother. The grief was similar to one she is experiencing about Bianca, but not the same. The girl didn't know if her brother was even alive or. . . she couldn't even say it. She didn't want to say it. He couldn't be. He's strong. They learned together, yet Endora could always feel a small bits of jealousy in her brother's aura. But why? She was nothing special. If something, she was dangerous for everyone around her. Why would anyone be envious about her.

Brother.

Nico. Bianca's brother. Oh, gods. . . Poor little boy.

"It should've been me," Percy said. "I should've gone into the giant."

"Don't say that!" Grover panicked. "It's bad enough Annabeth is gone, and now Bianca. Do you think I could stand it if. . ." he sniffled. "Do you think anybody else would be my best friend?" 

"Ah, Grover. . ." 

Endora summoned a clean cloth and handed it to Grover. "Thanks, Dora. I'm. . . I'm okay."

But he wasn't okay. Ever since the encounter in New Mexico ─ whatever had happened when that wild wind blew through ─ he seemed really fragile, even more emotional than usual. The girl was afraid Grover might start bawling again. Yet, she was ready to comfort him in any way.