Chapter 13 : Is that normal ?

Nat's POV

It's been 2 months since I started to supervise her training. We didn't fight like on the first day since the beginning of the sessions, I preferred to help her to improve her techniques and to see the movements one by one. And, okay, I have to admit, she's not too bad. She is doing well. Maybe even a little too well. Today is the day we have to face each other, I haven't faced her seriously for 2 months, I wanted her to learn to make the world around her her own first. Something is wrong though...

The others want to watch our fight. Tony is convinced she's going to win, so he's coming to watch her beat me up. Steve comes to support Y/n, he doesn't seem to think she'll win but he wants to cheer her on anyway. He asked me to take it easy. Clint comes just to make fun of Y/n, he wants to be able to tease her again. Bruce comes, for once, because he too wants to make fun of Y/n but not for the same reasons. Thor is coming to encourage Y/n too and because he likes to see me fight, he thinks it's impressive. Maria will be there of course and director Fury too. Nice pressure... Not for me of course.

We are supposed to warm up and start the fight in a short time. Y/n is sitting on the floor cross-legged and doing some breathing exercises I taught her. She improved quickly and took the training more seriously. Now we will see if she has improved since the first day.

"Agent Ivanov and Agent Romanoff, if you would please position yourselves in the ring." ordered Fury. Without opening her eyes, Y/n stood up and approached the ring. Everyone looked at her in confusion, except Fury, Hill and myself. She climbed into the ring, still with her eyes closed, and positioned herself in the corner. I then climbed in as well.

"You can do it Y/n! Show her what you can do!" shouted Tony.

"Adjime" shouted Fury

At that Y/n opened her eyes and we rushed at each other. I could finally see her silver eyes. Wait what?? Silver?! What the hell? Why are her -

"Argh.." that hurt. I didn't see that coming. All I know is that I'm on the ground, face down, Y/n on my back holding my arms and holding me down. What the hell just happened?

After 10 seconds she pulled away from me and positioned herself back in her corner to drink. I got up and turned to the others who were all shocked, even Fury and Hill. I turned to her and looked at her, I didn't expect this. It all happened so fast. And there she is quietly stretching, without a care in the world, as if everything was normal. After what seemed like an eternity someone finally broke the silence.

"Wow Lady Y/n I had no idea you were so strong! You are even more impressive than Lady Natasha!" exclaimed Thor.

At that Y/n turned around and smiled shyly and winked at him.

I looked at her eyes again and saw that they were now their original color. Was I imagining this? Or were they really silver? She has really improved, I have to admit, but in only 2 months, is it really possible to beat someone who has been fighting all her life?

I looked at her with my eyebrows furrowed, trying to read her, but it's getting harder and harder. When our eyes met she was surprised, then confused, then worried and looked away, still with a smile though. I turned to the director and we met. I saw that he was as skeptical as I was.

"Can you do it again please," asked Fury.

Y/n nodded and repositioned herself in the corner of the ring. I stood in front of her and watched her. She closed her eyes, took a deep breath and then opened her eyes as she exhaled. Her eyes are still the right color. I really had to picture it.

"Adjime" shouted Fury.

This time I won't be fooled. We walked in circles for several minutes. Then I took the lead and launched myself at her. I started a feint by throwing a right fist when in reality I was going to stomp her with my right foot by pivoting on myself and then kicking her back.

She dodged my fake fist, dodged my sweep but I managed to hit her with my kick. This sent her to the other side of the ring. I like that better. I could hear Bruce snicker, Clint went off into a fit of giggles, Thor gave a cheer, Steve looked worried and so did Tony as well as angry.

I may have been going hard. Y/n barely had time to get up before I grabbed her by the collar and flipped her over me and landed flat on the ground.

BOOM

This time only Bruce was laughing. The others were shocked and you could see the concern in their eyes. It must have hurt. I turn to her just in time to see her launching herself at me. I dodged her blows and did an arm lock to make her fall on her stomach and amplify my arm lock to immobilize her.

She then tapped on the ground so that I let her go, which I did. She got up without showing any difficulty but I saw her clench her jaw. She repositioned herself.

"Come on Y/n! You can do it! Don't let her get you like that! Show her what you can do!" Tony shouted. I roll my eyes at his attempt.

I direct my eyes at Y/n and see her standing there helplessly with her eyes closed. What is she playing at? I looked to Fury for what to do, he nodded his head to tell me to attack. I then decided to give her a backhand kick. Of course, I hit her. Too easy. Wait what? My foot is blocked, I turn my head towards her and see her holding my foot with her eyes closed. She then opened them...

WHAT THE HELL?

Her fucking eyes are still silver! What the hell. I try to get out of her embrace but I can't. I then decide to try a hold, I jump with my right foot on the ground to put my leg over the other one, to the right of Y/n and bring my leg back to my right (to the left of Y/n) to make her fall.

She blocked my right leg with her right forearm then caught me just below the knee and pulled me towards her. She let go of my left foot which was against her abs and managed to catch me and pin me against her, one arm around my neck and the other holding my arms. My back against her chest, I am stuck. Impossible to move. After a while she finally let go of me, again everyone was shocked, not as much as me though. I turn to her, her eyes normal again. She seems to be at the end of her rope. She is trying to catch her breath, her face is pale, it looks like she is going to faint any moment.

In fact, that's what just happened.

"Y/N" shouted different voices. Tony and Steve rushed to her. Her body flat on the ground, her breathing still ragged.

"She's boiling," Steve affirmed. He picked her up and ran out of the gym. Tony in his steps.

"She's not as strong as she says she is, that's what happens when you think you're better than everyone else." Said Bruce before leaving.

"That was really impressive! I hope Lady Y/n will be okay!" exclaimed Thor before exiting the room.

"That was... surprising? " Clint said in a questioning tone. He looked at me confused as if I could explain what had just happened. I have no idea so I shrug.

"Agent Barton, if you could leave us." asked Fury, Clint gave me one last look before leaving in turn. Fury and Maria then walk towards me.

"Agent Romanoff?" asked Fury.

"Yes sir?"

"Do you have any explanation for what just happened? Was she that strong from the start? Why did she pass out?"

"I don't know what to answer you. The first time we fought she really wasn't on that level but she wasn't taking the situation seriously either. Maybe she was just pretending. Or maybe she's really improved. Surely she must have some basics from her time in Hydra and they came back to her during the training sessions.

I don't know why she passed out, maybe she overexerted herself, or maybe she didn't eat enough before." I then replied.

"Well, keep an eye on her." ordered Fury then left. Maria nodded at me then followed the director out of the room.

What the hell is this? Why am I keeping the change in her eyes to myself? I should tell him about it! Why didn't I say anything? What's wrong with me? Am I protecting her? Why would I do that?

No no, I just don't have enough information on this subject. I'd better check with Y/n before I tell Fury. I can't give him information that's worthless. That's it. Gonna have to wait for her to wake up now.

I'm frustrated with this whole thing. I really need to find out what she's hiding before it's too late!