Hertford Castle, Hertford, Hertfordshire, England, June 1st, 1455

The planning for the wedding takes less than a week. A date is decided, June 1st, and I eagerly await it. By ladies in waiting put aside all the disappointments in tryouts at the result of the battle to get me ready for my marriage. Lita and Margaret are the picture of happiness as they help me make a beautiful veil out of pearls and French lace that my great grandfather brings over from his court. They're even happier when I managed to convince the council to pardon their husbands and with their anxieties about that set aside they're able to focus entirely on my wedding.

The day before the wedding the girls insist on keeping the tradition that Edward should not see me. Nora tells me exasperatingly when I protest, "You've got to keep some tradition. You've already kissed your betrothed in front of all of London. It would seem to everybody if you did not keep this tradition that you would have no shame."

I shrug. "We don't."

"Believe me, everybody knows." And so I reluctantly keep with tradition. 

That night the rest of my ladies except for Claire, Lita, and I sneak off to the kitchen to go get some sweets as a last-minute treat.  My other two ladies and myself stay by The card table in my room is at the castle, too tired to move. I'm exhausted from putting the finishing touches on this wedding and Claire is exhausted because she has followed me around whilst I do it, always ready to give a reassuring opinion or a helping hand. Lita however is another story. She has been exhausted for several months and I use this time alone with just her and Claire to confront her with my suspicions.

"You are with child, aren't you?"

My forwardness with it takes her off guard and she can only say to me, "How did you know?" 

I roll my eyes, "Oh Lita, I may be an only child but I have five cousins. I know what the signs are."

She smiles. "Well you are right."

"How far along are you?" Claire asks. 

"Three months or so, give or take," she says. "I have already started to grow out of some of my gowns and I'm afraid that the child gives me wretched morning sickness."

"It is part of it I guess," I tell her. I wish to ask him more questions, so I cannot bring myself to. I want to know what it's like for surely I should have children of my own very soon. But for some reason I did not ask him, I just let her have her moment of happiness. Though her world has turned upside down she and her husband have something beautiful to look forward to. 

"So when are you due?" Claire inquires.

"Sometime this winter. The midwife believes it will be right after Christmas."

"And all has gone well so far?" I ask.

"Yes," she says joyfully, "My midwife has told me that all the signs point to a healthy child. Henry and I are hoping for a boy."

"I am happy," I tell her genuinely, "Truly I wish you and Henry and this baby all the best."

"Thank you," she says. "And I wish you and Edward and all the children you will have one day together all the best as well."

"And we both wish our old maid all the best to," I tease Claire.

"Yes," Lita joins in, "for we shall soon have to find her a husband of her own so that the children that will surely come from our marriages Italian cousins to join them."

Claire laughs. "And where do you intend to find this future husband of mine?"

"I don't know," I say truthfully, "but I shall think of something. I wish for you to be happy to Claire."