Chapter 5

Branch held his head low as he walked through the village, his ears drooping dramatically, the gray troll just wanting to go home and get to bed...

Peppy's words had actually helped the young boy feel slightly happier... that is... for about three seconds...

The truth was... he couldn't tell Poppy his true feelings... because he was scared... he was scared he would hurt her like he hurt...

"Ugh..." Branch groaned out in frustration, pulling at his ears...

Why? Why did these thoughts keep coming to his head? Today of all day!? Like his birthday wasn't awful enough...

Actually... he didn't always hate his birthday. He actually used to love it. Every year... his grandma was sure to make it special... just for him...

Flashback
—————

     "Is it time! Is it time!" Branch shouted out in exhilarating as he bounced up and down on his little legs.

     "Not quite yet, my little peach fuzz..." Rosiepuff chuckled, loving to see her grandson's smile lighting up the otherwise dreary world they lived in... "Almost..."

     The hands on the clock moved slowly... too slowly...

     His party hat strapped lightly to his head, Branch watched in anticipation as the clock finally struck 10:00pm...

     "Happy birthday, Branch!" Rosiepuff exclaimed excitedly, giving her grandson a loving kiss on the forehead. "Now blow out your candles and make a wish..."

     A massive smile taking it's place prominently on the little blue troll's face, Branch closed his eyes, blowing out the candles to make his wish...

     "And what did you wish for?" Rosiepuff chuckled once he was done.

     "I wished we could always be together..." he explained with a smile. "Forever and ever."

     The old purple troll smiled, taking her grandson in her arms as she kissed his forehead...

     "Well... I guess your wish came true," she stated. "Cuz I'm not going anywhere..."

—————

     A single tear came to Branch's eye as he recalled the memory, continuing to walk without paying attention to where he was going...

     CRASH!

💥 💥💥💥💥💥

     Branch fumbled to the ground as he suddenly bumped right into another troll, instantly putting on his grumpy facade to hide his former sorrow...

     "Watch where you're going!" he yelled out, even though he was the one who hadn't been paying attention...

     He didn't regret his attitude however when he finally looked up, seeing who it was he had crashed in to...

     "Creek..." he grumbled, rolling his eyes in frustration. Of course it just had to be him...

     "Branch..." Creek greeted with a scowl, rising up to his feet as he dusted off his hideous yellow yoga pants...

     The gray troll remembered when the two of them were the best of friends... but their feelings for each other quickly changed once Creek revealed his... 'true colors'...

     "So... it's your birthday?" Creek asked with a slight smirk.

     "No," Branch scoffed, for some reason not wanting this troll to know the truth. "What gave you that idea?"

     "You're wearing a party hat..." Creek pointed out dryly, Branch realizing he was indeed still wearing the pointed hat Poppy had put on him earlier that day...

     "Ugh..." the gray troll groaned, yanking off the hat before throwing it harshly onto the ground. "So what if it is?" he finally continued after a moment, crossing his arms as he glared at the purple nuisance in front of him. "What's it to ya?"

     "Oh..." Creek shrugged, folding his hands behind his back. "Just wanted to mark it down on my calendar... as a day I wished never accrued..."

     "Psh... you and me both..." Branch scoffed in a soft mumble. Everyone's life would have just been better if he were never even born...

     "So... you coming to the party Poppy's throwing tonight?" Creek asked. "Oh wait... never mind. I forgot for a moment that you were a freak who doesn't like parties... my bad..." He smirked, expecting his words to get on Branch's nerves... which of course... they did...

     "You know what, Creek..." Branch growled in anger. "I don't have time for your sugar... just move aside so I can go home..."
"And... who's gonna make me, mate?" Creek smirked, moving even farther into Branch's way...

     Branch glared at the jerk troll who stood right up in his face, clenching his uninjured hand into a tight fist...

     "I said, move Creek..." he demanded firmly, his voice filled with pure and utter hatred.

     "Oh... I'll move..." Creek stated with a slight grin. "I'll move all my stuff into Poppy's pod when she choses me to be her king..."

     Creek's statement caused Branch's blood to boil, fire filling his eyes with pure rage...

     This jerk knew full well how Branch felt about Poppy... and he always seemed to use it against him...

     He didn't know why... but his anger seemed to intensify farther than ever before, making him do something he had never even thought of...

     "I told you to move!" Branch shouted out in pure rage, un-regretfully punching Creek right across the face...

     The action stung his burnt hand a bit, but he didn't care... he didn't even care that all the trolls in the area were now staring at him in shock...

     This jerk had just insulted the one troll Branch cared about more than anything else in the entire world... Creek didn't love Poppy... he loved her title... he was using her... and that was just unacceptable...

     "Next time..." he grumbled softly, walking past the purple nuisance who now sat flat on his butt, clutching his cheek as he stared up at Branch in pure and utter horror. "Don't mess with Poppy..."