Chapter 15

Branch ran back to his bunker as quickly as he possibly could, ignoring all the odd looks he gained while doing so...

     "That guy just keeps getting weirder..." one troll muttered to her friend as the village grump went sprinting past them in complete panic, making sure to hide his face from the view of everyone...

     Finally reaching his un-welcome mat that led directly into the safety of his underground home, Branch rode down his elevator, reaching the bottom level before dropping all of the books he held onto the floor, quickly running into the bathroom...

Yanking his hoodie off over his head, Branch looked into the mirror, freezing in place as his heart sank deep down into the pit of his stomach at what he saw...

     "AHHHHH!" the gray troll screamed out in pure terror at the sight of his own reflection. "Wha... what's wrong with me!?"

     Much to the survivalist's dismay, he saw that his entire body was now covered in fur, his bangs drooping into his face which was now flooded in a singular red rash... And his eyes... his eyes were now a glowing blue, looking more like cat's eyes than a troll's...

     "No... no, no, no, no, no!" he cried out, pulling harshly at his ears in fear. He was a monster! A hideous monster! If anyone saw him like this... it was over for sure...

     He began to pace anxiously, trying desperately to come up with a solution to his massive problem...

     "What do I do? What do I do? What do I do!?"

     Branch was terrified... no... terrified was an understatement... he was petrified!

     If the trolls found out... they would kill him! Oh, he was so doomed...

     That's it! He needed to get out of there... out of his bunker... out of the village... he needed to run!

     He didn't know where he would go... but he did know he couldn't stay there... it was just too dangerous... for both him... and the other trolls... He was especially worried about Poppy. What would he do if he ever hurt her?

     Tears filled his eyes at the thought... he was a monster... he would hurt everyone... he would hurt her... and not even be aware that he was doing it...

     No... that was out of the question. He had to leave. Before this got any worse... to protect Poppy...

     Quickly, he slipped his hoodie back over his head, putting on a pair of sunglasses to hide his eyes, as well as a pair of long pants and sneakers. He had to cover every inch of his body... no one could see him... no one...

     After taking one last look around his home... Branch sighed, his heart aching in sorrowful despair before finally leaving the bunker for good, his hands in his pockets, and hood tightly over his head...

     Carefully, the survivalist slunk stealthily through the village, trying his best to avoid the gaze of the many trolls walking by, his heart racing in terror at the thought of being spotted...

     What would the others do if they found out he was the wolf that attacked the village? An even worse thought... what would Poppy think? She would hate him... forever...

     Finally, the little gray troll reached the edge of the village, quickly taking off into the forest to hide, not even looking back, worried that if he did... he would be caught...

     He despised leaving his home... he knew that all though he pretended to hate it here... he would miss it... so much... he would miss Poppy...

     But... he had to go... he had to go and never come back... it was better this way... for everyone...

—————

     "Tonight... we hunt!" Peppy announced in a confident tone, the old king standing up on the large mushroom in the center of the village, everyone crowded around to hear the big announcement.

     "Yeah! Kill the beast!" the crowed roared, their hair lit up and waving around in the air like a flame as they held up their pitch forks, ready to thrust them right into the wolf's heart to take the hideous monster's last breath away...

     "Search the entire forest!" Peppy ordered in a loud shout of fury. "Bring me that wolf! Dead or alive!"

     "Yeah!" the crowd cheered, everyone quickly rushing off into the forest to find and kill the beast...