Ch. 6 - You Can Do It

Summary: A letter from Gaara, and Masumi meets the ninken.

Kokoro,

I am concerned with what you've written to me, and I think I know what to say to make it better. I don't know if it will work, but for you, I would try anything to keep you happy. Let me start off by telling you what I've been up to. After our last mission together, I was determined to show everyone how much I've changed. I had already been doing so before we met again, but I stepped up my efforts. I underestimated how scared everyone was of me and how long it would take for them to see me as anything but a monster. It certainly doesn't help that Shukaku is still distrustful of everyone around us and refuses to let down his guard. It is hard for people to be comfortable around us when he insists on pulling up a wall of sand when anyone gets within arm's length.

I have tried to gain their trust by visiting the markets and striking up conversations with people. I admit it is awkward for me as I am not much of a talker. Still, I want to try. I want people to know I've changed for the better. I've been helping out in our community, as well. I volunteered to help out in the soup kitchen, and I volunteered to help at the academy. Not much progress has been made, unfortunately. They still go quiet when I enter a room, they still whisper behind my back, and they still look at me as though I might turn on them at any second. But I keep going.

I keep going for myself and for the people around me. I don't deserve to feel lonely and sad all the time, and they don't deserve to feel afraid and nervous all the time. I owe it to them to be a better person. My whole family owes it to the people to better ourselves, especially after what my father did. Knowing you, you might be curious as to why this all matters so much. You know I want to redeem myself, but I do have some news to give you. As you know, the title of Kazekage has been passed down through my family's lineage since we founded the village. Since my father died, it is now up to me, Kankuro, or Temari to take up the title. It is more important than ever that we decide on the next leader as our village is growing weary. As the oldest, I asked Temari to take up the reins, but she is not interested in leading the village and is happily learning the ways in which to be a diplomat for our village. Kankuro is not interested either, using the excuse of it being too much of a responsibility. So, I will be taking up the position. I spoke to Shukaku, who is happy to help me. He thinks it'll be an opportunity to use his power. I've tried to dissuade him from that kind of thinking, but you know how stubborn he is.

I am quite nervous as I don't know whether or not I'll do a good enough job, but I would happily serve my village if it means I get to make sure no one was treated the same way I was. I have begun my training under the village elders. I won't be Kazekage for some time as I need to gain jounin status and experience. I think they also want to mold me into something I'm not, a pawn they can use for their needs. I won't let them, but it is exhausting fighting them about certain things. Sometimes I want to quit, myself.

I understand your frustrations, Kokoro. It must be hard relocating to a new village without knowing anyone. It must be difficult moving from a relatively happy place like Konoha to a more dreary and distrustful place like Kiri. I've never been to Kirigakure, so I am just speculating from the letters you've sent me. It's a big change, and big changes are scary. After my fight with Naruto, I was scared because it was the first time in a long time that Shukaku had been silent. He wasn't bothering me and was so silent I thought he had been removed. For once, I didn't feel his bloodthirsty rage, and while it was a breath of fresh air, all I'd known was his rage. All you've known, Kokoro, is kindness. You've had moments of rejection from gossipers, but the network system your dad has has made it so you've had a big circle of people who would do anything to protect you. It's all you've known, and now you aren't surrounded by any of that.