One

"We know that we haven't pay the taxes of this year yet, but you know how difficult winter was this year

"We know that we haven't pay the taxes of this year yet, but you know how difficult winter was this year." Melinda Yrwin said to Mayor Dixon. Lack of money had always been a problem in District 8. In one half of the district, that is. Since the arrival of autumn last year, customers had been decreasing in crescendo. But that was not their problem. It wasn't their fault that taxes were going up so much that buying a new pair of shoes was becoming a luxury.

Night had fallen and one could admire the twilight by glancing at the window. Sleep had fallen on everyone except for Mayor Dixon, Melinda, August, Aria's father, and Aria herself. She wasn't supposed to be hiding around the corner listening to the conversation of these parents, but curiosity had gotten the better of her. Her real reason for waking up was to get a glass of water. As she listened at the door, she told herself that she knew the information only earlier than the rest of her family.

"You know taxes are taxes. I can't do much about it. Every citizens need to pay their taxes, that's what the Capitol has tell us."

"We can give you a new costume and I'm sure your daughters would be more than happier to have new dresses. W-We ca-" Melinda was cut off by Mayor Dixon. He couldn't cover his ears again as he had done with so many citizens for decades.

"I would lovely accept ,but this year the Capitol really wants everybody to pay their taxes. I think it's for some big project they have for the future. I can't accept it." Aria's parents looked at each other in despair. Neither of them knew what to do. They couldn't make money appear overnight. They were tailors and only that.

"Look, I known both of you for years and don't want to see your family on the street. You could sell the store and live in a small apartment. I could help you find a nice place."

Aria's eyebrows furrowed as she heard what the mayor had said. Who did he think he was? Their shop was the only thing they had. The only place she could call home. Without it she would become a person from District 8 who had an ordinary life working in the industries. Since she was a child she had lived here. Their height was written on the wall over the years, all their memories were here. The urge to come out of hiding to yell at the mayor for even having the idea to sell the shop reached her brain.

"We can't do that. The other stores have price too high for the poor families. They only came here because they know it's affordable. If we close they won't be able to repair their clothes or have good shoes." August said.

August Yrwin had promised himself to help his people in the best way he could. He met his wife and decided to open a shop with affordable prices for the poor. This meant that they spent more than they received, but the smile on the faces of the people they helped was worth all the gold in the world. The tailor, shoeshiner and shoemaker store opened its doors. Many locals knew them for their price.

"I know about the store, but you need to think about yourself. Do you really want your children to starve and live on the streets? Work at the industries. I can find work for each of you, it will be a better life and you will be certain to have money at the end of the month."