🥀 - Angel's Lost Promise [DAVE]

"Some nights I pray for you to come home."
ANGST
Dave X Gender Neutral!Reader
TW: Death
If any of the themes mentioned to you may be triggering, feel free to skip ahead.
Heavy references off of the "Pretentious Game" series, so if youre deciding to check it out, click off.
The reader is dead in this oneshot.
This oneshot is written in 3rd person point of view

"Dad, where are we going?" Tristan asked while staring at his father. "We're going to visit Y/N, Tristan.." Dave said with a weak smile as if he was forcing himself to contain his sadness for his son. "Okay," Tristan replied. "B-But, isn't Y/N- gone?"

Those words hit Dave harder than when he first met Y/N. Their charming E/C eyes, their lovely H/C hair, and their unforgettable smile. Dave wasn't the 24/7 sad, sober and depressed kind of type, at least before his dearest died before he could confess his love for them. He isolated himself from everyone but Tristan. He knew the poor kid was still too young to understand his dreadful sadness, so he contained his feelings for himself.

"They're still here... You just can't see them, but neither can I. It's just how things are."

Dave walked with Tristan till he reached the gates of his backyard. Pushing them open led to a small field filled with flowers... and Y/N's grave. Images of their demise flashed through his head, causing Dave to sulk, attempting to hold back his tears to not worry his son.

It all started an ended on a weekend, when the building they were in caught fire.

"Y/N! Take my hand!" Dave coughed, trying not to inhale too much of the smoke. Y/N was lying on the floor, coughing and struggling to breathe. "D-Dave... it's okay... run," they whispered, loud enough for Dave to hear. "It's *cough* too late. You have so many people- *cough* to live for, *cough cough* like Tristan, Bambi, and so many other *cough* people.. go without me... save... yourself."

"Goodbye, Dave."

"NO!"

The ablaze flames covered the remnants of Y/N's body, everything went silent except for the sounds of blaring fire alarms. Dave began to sob, running out.

"Tristan, can you... go back inside? I still have some things I need to do beforehand," Dave requested his son, whom nodded in understanding and heading back inside the house. Dave immediately dropped on his knees the moment Tristan was too far to be seen, sobbing.

"I would go wherever you are. Climb any mountain. Use whatever is necessary. Leap cliffs. Dodge fire. I will run fearless. I will find a way... or make a way. Even if I have to drag myself to you. I have faith in you," Dave began to sob, tears pricking his eyes, unable to bottle up his negative emotions any longer. "I will break rules. Even when you aren't there for me, I can wait. Love is patient. Even with heavy chains... even when the world is crumbling. I will jump blindly... give it all. I will dare to fly..."

"...but all of this is just a pretentious game," Dave began to cry. "I am already too late. I've built up too many space in our tiny world by passing up too many chances to say how I feel.."

He fell onto his chest, gritting his teeth while gripping on the grass. "I will try to forget you by moving on.. I'll open a new door... I'll try to learn a new skill; do things I've never done before. I'm.. I'm not a fool to hurt myself," he choked on his sobs, his voice with clear hints of heartbreak. "...I know it takes time to heal. I can meet others... but I can't take my mind off of you... Maybe I just have to hit my head to the wall many times... maybe I have to remove all traces of you. I can recover, I know it."

"...But life has a sick sense of humor," He sobbed violently, choking on his cries. "All this time, I've only struggled to say one simple sentence, Y/N.."

"I love you."
"But.. I was a little too late."
"Now, you're gone..."
"I can't cherish moments with you anymore."
"I'm sorry, I was an idiot..."

"I wanna spend time with you for the rest of my life, Dave!" Y/N exclaimed, laughing while eating their own ice cream with a giddy grin. "Even when you're dead?" Bambi joked, chewing on his corn. "Hmmmm, I don't know about that. But I'll find a way, watch me!" Y/N nudged the corn farmer's shoulder while the three of them laughed. "I think I'll do the same too," Dave laughed.

"We'll be together forever, right Dave?"
"Yep, sure we will!"
"Promise?"
"It's a promise."

Dave gently placed Y/N's favorite flowers near their grave along with a picture of them, Dave and Bambi together during their first ever meeting. Dave smiled weakly, tears rolling down his cheek, reminding himself the one he loved was gone.

"..I love you, Y/N... wait for me."

Little did he know, an angel was watching over him.