Chapter 4

I've been driving for an hour now and sweat was starting to drip down my forehead. I had stopped about 10 minutes after driving off to wrap and clean the bite even though I knew it was no use and we all had some food. The kids said there uncle lives about an hour and a half away so we should be getting close.

"Take this next right," Tyler said giving me directions.
10 minutes later
" It's this left right here," he said pointing up ahead. I turned down the dirt road and drove for a couple more minutes before getting to a big farmhouse. At this point the sun was already rising and there was a bigger man standing outside with an older man next to him. "There's my uncle Otis!" He said with a happy smile on his face. Honestly I was worried about no one being here but I guess the kids luck is better than mine. As soon as I stopped the truck the kids were out and running. After I wrapped the bite up I had put my combat shirt back on so I had no problem following them to the two men.

By the time I had reached them a bunch of other people came flooding outside hugging and crying over the kids. The older man finally looked over and realized Nyx and I standing off to the side. He nudged the kids and tipped his head towards us.

"Oh! Everybody! This is Haley and Nyx. They saved us and made sure we got here okay!" Ashley said very loudly. I gave everyone a small smile and wave while Nyx started waving her tail.

"Military?" The older man ask gesturing to my outfit.

"Sergeant First Class Johnson, sir" I responded. He walked over with a smile and shook my hand.
"My names Hershel, this is my wife Annette. Our children Maggie, Beth, and Shawn. Otis and his wife Patricia. That over there is Jimmy" he said introducing everyone.

" I want to thank you for getting my niece and my nephew here safely. We never had kids so they are the closest things we got," Otis said and he shook my hand. "Why don't you come on in and have dinner? We cooked a big meal knowing the Greene's were comin over," he asked.

"I best be on my way. No telling how long I got I was just wondering if y'all needed any supplies it not like I'll be using them," I replied with a smile still on my face like I wasn't just telling them of my impending doom. Everyone suddenly got wide eyes looking at me.

"She was bit after saving us," Ashley said softly with a sniffle. Hershel looked at me with a soft smile.

"I'm sure a cure will be out soon and you'll be back to normal before you know," Hershel said with confidence. I kept a straight face even though I was screaming in head. "We have a farm so we aren't in real need of food or water but we appreciate the offer," Hershel said.

"Okay, I have other things too. Medical supplies, batteries, flashlights. Your welcome to take what you need," I said as I started pulling storage bins out the back of my truck.

"Oh really. You've already done so much there is no need," Patricia said sweetly.

"I insist that y'all at least have a look see if I got anything y'all are short on," I said very firmly taking the lids off the bins. They stood looking over the bins with dropped mouths.

"Where did You get all this?"Otis asked in disbelief.

"I scavenged it all. Didn't have much to do until I could find people who were actually alive so I just stocked up hoping I could help people who needed it," I said honestly. They took what they need but still didn't take much compared to what I have left. After repeated words of thanks from all of them. I had convinced Tyler and Ashley to take care of Nyx for me. Saying goodbye to her was one of the hardest things I've done. She's so smart she knew what was happening I could tell. After a very tearful goodbye I drove off, completely by myself for the first time in years.

———————————————————————————Two Days Later

I wake up with a groan. My head is pounding worse than when I was hungover for my 21st birthday (and trust me that was bad). My whole body ached and felt extremely stiff. I slowly did my body check. Yep everything is working right so what the hell is wrong with me. I slowly sat up and opened my eyes. Squinting due to pain I took a look around. I was in the back of my Baby but Nyx was nowhere in sight. What the hell happened?

SHIT! I was bit after leaving Nyx with the kids I drove back towards where I picked the kids up for about two hours before I knew I wouldn't last much longer. HOW THE HELL AM I ALIVE? I get out the back and look around. That's right I found a trail that lead into the woods so no one would find my Baby. I hop in the front and grab the water that was there chugging it down before eating a can of Vienna Sausage and a granola bar. I glanced up in the mirror real quick but had to do a double look. WHAT THE HELL?! My eyes have always been blue but a dark blue that would sometimes turn green now though? The blue is so light they literally look like they are glowing! My muscles are killing me. Now that I have something in my stomach I get back out the truck. It's difficult to walk I found the more I do the less it hurts. Not Paying attention to anything but relieving the pain. I'm quickly running without realizing. As the pain eases I slowly come back to my senses and realize that I'm running way faster than I ever have before WTF IS HAPPENING TO ME!!??