Chapter 4: Monday

Wanda walks her children to school on Monday morning. She does it every school day but today feels important. Necessary. She doesn't know when she'll be back from the mission after all.

The thought makes her hold her boys tighter as she says goodbye.

"Be good to (Y/N), okay? And promise me you won't get into any sort of trouble while I'm away."

Billy smiles at her. "Don't worry, mom! We promise to behave."

"We promise. Now, go! The world needs our supermom!" Tommy says and Wanda feels her heart grow bigger in size. Her boys support her and believe in her. She isn't going to let them down.

"I love you, boys," she says, holding them both against her.

"We love you too, mom."

And just like that, the boys pull back and walk to the school's main doors. Wanda watches them go, hoping that they won't suddenly grow up while she is away.

Heaving a sigh, she turns and walks back home.

There's a sleek black car parked in front of her house and on the front porch stands (Y/N) in casual clothes. No one would ever think that she's a trained assassin with the way that she looks and Wanda supposes that that's a good thing. Her boys need to feel comfortable around (Y/N) and so far, she has done nothing but that. Her boys have taken a liking to her, thankfully.

"So I guess this is it," Wanda says when she reaches the other woman.

"Mhm. The driver, Agent Jackson, will escort you to SHIELD. They'll brief you there before you leave."

"Do you know where we're going?"

"I'm sorry but I have no idea. Natasha didn't tell me anything about your mission."

Wanda knows they didn't. Of course they didn't. It isn't in (Y/N)'s interest to know. She knows they wouldn't tell her, so why is her heart suddenly plummeting to her feet at her response? Why does she suddenly feel like she can't breathe?

"Then how will we know if there's a signal there? What if I can't call you? What if I can't talk to the boys? I need to see them every day, I promised them ⁠—,"

"Hey," (Y/N) says. Her voice is as firm as her grip on Wanda's arms. "Look at me. Take a deep breath."

Wanda takes a few lungfuls of air until she feels her chest loosen.

"Good. Now, listen to me. It'll be fine. Just tell Natasha and Steve that you need to call the boys every day. I'm sure they'll figure something out for you. Remember, just because you're doing this to help doesn't mean you can't also ask for what you want," she says and Wanda feels her entire body deflate.

(Y/N) is right. Nat and Steve will help. They'll find a way for her. And if they can't then she will. She doesn't realize how long (Y/N) has been holding onto her until her vision focuses on her eyes. They're soft and sincere, and they're staring right back at her.

Wanda clears her throat and looks down.

(Y/N) releases her from her hold.

"Are you feeling better now?"

"Yes. Thank you. I'm sorry I didn't mean to spiral."

"Don't apologize. And to make you feel better, I'm going to tell you something."

Wanda looks up at her, brows furrowing in intrigue.

"School starts at eight. I'll wake them up at six or six-thirty. They'll wash themselves before we eat breakfast together. I'll have to remind them to brush their teeth. And then I'll walk them to school. In the afternoon, I'll pick them up. I'll ask if they need help with their homework, but I'll still let them do it on their own. I won't do it for them. I'll just be there to assist. After that they can play or watch a movie. Dinner is at seven and then bedtime is at nine but I won't let them sleep before they get to talk to you. My phone is on full volume and I'll always have it with me so I can pick it up as soon as it rings."