Chapter 6: Wednesday

I work on the tree house as soon as I return from walking the boys to school. Our morning routine went really smoothly so by the time I got back to the house, there wasn't much mess to clean up. It's only been three days but the boys have already mastered putting their shoes on the rack by the door. I should move on to telling them not to run around the house, especially up and down the stairs this time, I think as I hammer down a nail onto the pieces of wood I'm assembling.

The tree house is looking great. I've got the corners and most of the foundations laid out so it shouldn't take me long to finish it. I'm thinking I'll be done with it by the end of the week.

Billy and Tommy don't know about it yet, but I know they'll see it from the kitchen later. It's a little big if I'm being honest, but that's only because there are two of them and I want them to have as much space as they can.

I haven't told Wanda about it either. That's a mistake, I think to myself. This is her backyard. I wouldn't want to cross a line. Stopping my hammering, I take my phone out from the front pocket of my overalls. I open the camera app and take a picture of the tree house to send to her.

(Y/N)Hey, Wanda

(Y/N)
Hey, Wanda. I'm so sorry I forgot to ask for your permission first before I started building this but I just thought the boys would enjoy a treehouse in your backyard. I haven't finished it yet so please feel free to tell me to stop if you don't like it. I'm gonna pause on the build now and wait for your reply.

I arrange the pieces of wood lying around before I get back inside the house with the toolbox. After putting the tools away, I decide to take a shower.

I've just finished washing myself when I hear my phone ringing. Wrapping my still wet body with a towel, I hurry towards the bedroom and pick my phone up from the side table where I left it.

It's a FaceTime invitation from Wanda.

Worrying because Wanda usually doesn't call at this time of day, I immediately pick up.

"Wanda?"

"(Y/N), I saw your text and oh... Uh, you're dripping wet."

Oh, right. Shit.

"Yeah, I just got out of the shower. Sorry, I thought it was an emergency so I picked it up as soon as I got to my phone."

"N-no, it's fine," she says and... Is that a blush on her cheeks?

Feeling my own face heat up, I put the phone down so it's facing the ceiling instead of my half naked form.

"I'm going to get dressed but please, continue. What were you saying?"

Wanda clears her throat, seemingly getting back to herself. "I just wanted to tell you that I saw your text and the picture of the tree house. It looks great and I think you should continue."