134 : Yello Keith Coloflare 14 - The Time Has Come

Now at the reception room of the House Moonlight’s manor, the duke and I sat facing each other. At the most corner of the room was the same bird cage with a yellow bird in it, the exact same thing I sent to the house as a gift.

‘To think that this bird has that kind of ability…’

‘It was more of the ‘Elf’s Precious Jewel’, rather than the bird though.’

This bird doesn’t have the capability to mimic people’s words like parrots. After all, it would have been bad if the bird were to have memorized dangerous conversations and just randomly spoke them.

But that’s where my ‘favor‘ comes. So that when it sees the signal of the flying birds and insects outside, it will speak ‘The 2nd prince will be visiting soon,’ and nothing else. Once the duke gives his affirmation, those animals would then convey his words to me thereafter.

The game was already past the condemnation phase, and it is now a race against time; there’s no time to go through every single step of making appointments.

‘But still, I was quite surprised to hear that the duke had slighted the domestic industry in favor of cheaper alternatives. I was sure that earnestly serving the kingdom’s interest is one of the house’s precepts.’

‘We’re talking about spending the precious tax of the people for expensive provisions, highness. I would naturally be opposed to such. Forgive me for my words, but the House Moonlight has never been negligent in its service of the church ever since it had assumed its name.
It is true that limiting the domestic production of the kingdom will greatly inconvenience the people. However, please consider that the opposition towards the use of magic tools has only relaxed in recent years. Even the mere importation of magic crystals was opposed in the past.’

In other words, he is saying that the choice of the kingdom when it comes to the purchase of the magic tools largely reflects the sentiments of the sacred church. If they would be hard-pressed to buy them, they’d rather import and purchase the cheaper ones. The sacred church’s allergy to common magic is just that severe.

‘And the reason why you involved your son in such transactions?’

‘He needs to gain experience being the one to succeed the house in the future. Supporting the sacred church is the core mission of the Moonlight Ducal House. As such, we are to live modesty, abstain from extravagance, and extend our hands to those in need. We try to instill these beliefs to our children at a very young age.’

‘It might be the fault of us, royals, as well as that of the sacred church, in turning the ducal house in that direction though.’

While austerity is a virtue, it should be done voluntarily and not be forced upon the citizens. Most especially, those who choose to do so in service of their country. But I wonder if the duke is aware of his son’s indifference to moderation. By the time I had started attending the academy and inquired about his grades, apparently, he was a problem for having many failing marks. However, he can be estimated highly depending on who you ask, or as Vlad himself said, ‘While there are times that I get harassed out of jealousy, those who are capable of understanding will understand..’

‘You seem to be confident in that regard, duke, but do you really believe so? Rather, I didn’t know you have more than one son. Perhaps, it wouldn’t be good to be obstinate in making Vlad your successor.’

‘His younger sibling is still too young and it would be too early to teach him about territorial management and governance. Also, Vlad is known to be particularly pious amongst the Sacred Church. He even accompanied Chloe in her ascetic practice when they were young.’