Chapter 2

The morning arrived, and Nyx was greeted with a cup of tea from her maid, Berty. She sat up straight, wincing in pain from the previous night's activities. The tea was made from a unique root that aided in soothing the pain. Nyx took a huge gulp, feeling its effects instantly.

After a while, she noticed Claude had disappeared without waking her up, which saddened her. Today was the second day of his quick dating, and he was matched with Apollonia Alexandria Rha Lyiones, the pope's daughter. She had fair skin, curious green eyes, and raven black curls. Apollonia emitted an aura of a saintess but was never declared one.

Claude ambushed her in the Cathedral, and Apollonia's face grew white as she made eye contact with him. She thought him a murderer and feared being his next victim. She quickly looked away, choking on her words. Claude grasped her hand roughly, commanding her to look him in the eyes when speaking. Tears rolled down her cheeks as she begged to be released.

Apollonia felt his distress and unconsciously embraced him, her power making her do so. She felt uncomfortable, as this was the first grown man she had ever hugged beside her father. "Am I going to get pregnant?" her voice quavered. Claude whispered, "Is it a problem if you got pregnant? You are my wife, after all."

Apollonia jolted from her seat, falling butt-first on the ground, and shrieked in pain. She glared at Claude while rubbing her bruised rump. The emperor lightly chuckled, seeing an emotion other than fear. Realizing what got him smiling, she speedily returned to her shy demeanor.

Claude picked up Apollonia bridal-style, feeling her heartbeat increasing alarmingly. She shut her eyes, flustered by his actions. He placed her back gently on the bench and marched to the altar, taking out his rosary and pressing his hands together to pray. Apollonia watched silently, unbelieving that this "evil" man prayed.

The two prayed together for hours, and Apollonia opened her eyes to find an eccentric Claude staring at her. She stumbled back, surprised, and tried getting up but was weak in the knees. Claude lifted her in his muscular arms once more, and she didn't complain or hide her gaze.

He carried her to her wing in silence, no words exchanged. He used his foot to open the large door and placed her delicately on her queen-sized bed. He kissed her hand to say goodbye and spun on his heel to retreat to his room. She gripped his shirt, and he asked if she needed anything, though she didn't respond.

Claude climbed over her and lay beside her, narrating his remarkable feats. She listened intently, and he knew she favored the story of the dragon he had slain. Apollonia relaxed, letting go of tension, and kissed him. She punched him in the gut, and he groaned in pain, exaggerating the effect. She reflexively used her healing powers, and tears welled up in her eyes.

The innocent lady offered another kiss as an apology, and one thing led to another. The afternoon passed like the wind, and Apollonia eventually passed out from exhaustion. Claude took a cold shower in her room and departed without telling her, knowing she needed rest.