Chapter 8

As Claude carried Ashera through the palace halls, they passed by Altrea, who stood frozen in the doorway, her eyes fixed on the intimate scene before her. A mix of emotions played across her face - surprise, curiosity, and a hint of longing.

Ashera, still cradled in Claude's arms, met Altrea's gaze with a soft smile, her wings fluttering gently. Claude, sensing the tension, nodded graciously in Altrea's direction, his eyes never leaving hers.

"Good morning, Altrea," he said, his voice low and smooth. "I trust you're well."

Altrea's expression softened, and she curtsied gracefully. "Yes, Emperor. I am well. Congratulations on your... reunion with Ashera."

With a quiet sigh, Altrea turned and disappeared into the shadows, leaving the two lovers to their intimate moment. The soft click of the bedroom door behind them was the only sound that broke the silence.

Inside the room, Claude laid Ashera on the bed, his hands roaming gently over her body as he kissed her with tender passion. Ashera's wings fluttered softly, her eyes shining with happiness as she wrapped her arms around Claude's neck, pulling him closer.

                               ...

Altrea made her way to the kitchen, the warm scent of freshly baked bread and brewing tea enveloping her as she entered. The maids, busy with their morning preparations, looked up as she approached.

"Good morning, Your Majesty," they chimed in unison, curtsying gracefully.

Altrea smiled, her eyes scanning the bustling kitchen. "Good morning, ladies. I trust all is well?"

The head maid, a stout woman with a kind face, nodded. "Yes, Your Majesty. Breakfast is nearly ready. Shall I have it served in the dining hall?"

Altrea nodded, her mind wandering to Claude and Ashera, lost in their love. "Yes, please. And... have some tea sent to the Emperor's chambers. He and Ashera may need a refreshment after their... reunion."

The maids exchanged knowing glances, their faces discreetly neutral. "Of course, Your Majesty," they replied in unison, their hands moving with renewed purpose.

Altrea entered the grand dining hall, her presence commanding attention. Nyx and Apollonia, already seated, greeted her with warm smiles, but Altrea's gaze passed over them, her eyes fixed on the table's ornate centerpiece.

Throughout the meal, Nyx and Apollonia attempted to engage her in conversation, but Altrea responded with curt, monosyllabic answers, her tone icy and dismissive. The two wives exchanged worried glances, their efforts to bridge the gap between them met with stubborn resistance.

The meal dragged on, the silence between the three women thick and uncomfortable. The clinking of silverware and the soft hum of conversation from the other diners only highlighted the tension. Nyx and Apollonia tried to maintain a polite facade, but their smiles began to falter, their eyes reflecting the hurt and confusion they felt.

As the meal drew to a close, Altrea rose from her seat, her movements graceful but her eyes flashing with a fierce intensity. "I have no desire to continue this charade," she said, her voice low and venomous. "I'll not pretend to be cordial when my heart is burning with anger and betrayal."

With that, she turned and swept out of the dining hall, leaving Nyx and Apollonia in a cloud of uncomfortable silence.

Nyx and Apollonia sat in the dimly lit chamber, the flickering candles casting shadows on their faces. They spoke in hushed tones, their voices barely audible over the crackling of the fire.

"Nyx, have you noticed how much Altrea's hatred for us has grown?" Apollonia asked, her brow furrowed with concern.

Nyx nodded, her eyes grave. "It's as if she's consumed by it. I've tried to reach out, to talk to her, but she won't listen."

Apollonia sighed, her shoulders slumping. "I know. I've tried as well. But she just shuts us down, refuses to hear our side."

Nyx's gaze dropped, her voice barely above a whisper. "I fear it's more than just hurt pride, Apollonia. I think she's been hurt so deeply, she can't see past her own pain."

Apollonia nodded, her expression sympathetic. "You're right. We've been so caught up in our own struggles, we forgot about Altrea's. We forgot she was hurting too."

The two wives sat in silence for a moment, the weight of their words hanging in the air. Finally, Nyx spoke up, her voice resolute.

"We need to try harder, Apollonia. We need to find a way to reach Altrea, to show her we're not her enemies. We're her sisters, her friends."

Apollonia's face set in determination. "You're right. We'll find a way. Together."

                              ...

A trip to the laundry hall, where secrets and gossip flow like the soap and water! Altrea entered the bustling hall, the sound of chatter and clanging pots filling the air. The maids, busy scrubbing and rinsing, looked up as she approached.

"Your Majesty!" they curtsied, their faces respectful, but their eyes sparkling with curiosity.

Altrea smiled, her eyes scanning the room. "Good day, ladies. I see you're hard at work, as always."

One of the maids, a petite thing with a mischievous grin, spoke up. "Yes, Your Majesty. We're working overtime to get the linens ready for the upcoming feast."

Altrea's ears perked up. "Feast? I hadn't heard. What's the occasion?"

The maid leaned in, her voice dropping to a whisper. "It's for the Emperor's new favorite, Ashera. He's declaring her his official consort."

The other maids nodded, their faces agog with excitement. "And rumor has it, he's planning to dismiss his other wives, including Nyx and Apollonia!"

Altrea's eyes narrowed, her mind racing with the implications. She thanked the maids and left the laundry hall, her heart pounding with a mix of emotions.

Altrea's expression turned stern, her voice firm but controlled. "You foolish maids! Spreading rumors and gossip like wildfire. Do you know the damage you can cause with your thoughtless chatter?"

The maids cowered, their faces pale, as Altrea's words struck home. "We didn't mean to, Your Majesty," one of them stammered. "We were just... curious."

Altrea's gaze was unyielding. "Curiosity is one thing, but spreading lies and half-truths is another. You should be ashamed of yourselves. If I hear one more whisper of this nonsense, there will be consequences. Do I make myself clear?"

The maids nodded, their eyes downcast, as Altrea's rebuke left them feeling chastened and embarrassed. They returned to their work, their chatter and laughter replaced by a subdued silence.

Altrea's expression softened, her voice taking on a teaching tone. "You see, my dear maids, the royal court is a delicate balance of power and intrigue. The Emperor's favor is a precious commodity, and those who seek it must navigate treacherous waters."

She paused, her eyes scanning the room. "Nyx and Apollonia, as wives of the Emperor, hold significant influence. But to suggest they would be dismissed so easily... it's a notion born of ignorance, not reality."

The maids listened intently, their faces eager to learn. "You see, power in the royal court is like a scale, always shifting, always balancing. The Emperor's favorites rise and fall, but the wise ones know how to adapt, how to maintain their position without upsetting the balance."

Altrea's gaze was piercing, her words sinking deep. "Remember, gossip and rumors can be weapons, but they can also be poison. Use your words wisely, and always consider the consequences."

The maids nodded, their faces thoughtful, as Altrea's lesson sank in. They returned to their work, their minds buzzing with newfound understanding, and a healthy dose of caution.