F i v e

V

PENELOPE couldn't wait for Solomon and his mother to leave. If the countess noticed Penelope's mourning discomfort, she didn't show it. If anything, Violet and Diana were becoming the best of friends.

Penelope found the wedding plans more worrisome by the day. Violet insisted that Penelope's wedding gown must be made by the best dressmaker in the country, with the most expensive silk and chiffon money could buy. The wedding would take place in St. Peter's Abbey--right in the heart of the capitol--filled to the brim with one hundred guests. Penelope would wear her late father's wedding ring close to her heart (quite literally, it was meant to be sewn into the gown) so he could be part of the celebration. There had been an argument about which flowers should be in Penelope's bouquet--the countess had wanted white carnations or white roses but Violet insisted on baby's breath, largely because they symbolized everlasting love. After some deliberation, the countess was swayed. Penelope would've preferred white roses, but she made no move to object.

Baby's-breath did more than symbolize eternal love--it was virginal and innocent. Maybe it was Penelope's imagination, but the suggestion of such an innocent flower for someone who was not quite so innocent herself felt like some sort of slight. After their recent confrontation, Penelope couldn't figure out whether or not it was intentional or if the slight really was imagined. Eager to avoid these upsetting thoughts, Penelope took over all other parts of the wedding that included sentimental and symbolic objects. This included finding items to fit the famous bride's rhyme: something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue.

Violet insisted on giving Penelope the wedding veil she'd worn on her wedding to the late duke, so that took care of the something borrowed. Penelope already had a pair of aquamarine earrings, so that took care of something blue. Penelope also bought a diamond bracelet two or so days after the Burberrys started visiting in order to console herself about the engagement. The only thing left was something old.

Surprisingly, it was nice wasting time hunting for the item. It gave her an excuse to avoid both the duchess and the countess, and occasionally Solomon as well. He would assist her for a half-hour or so every other morning, tire of her choosiness, and retire somewhere to read a book. Penelope wished this could go on forever. One day, she went to a small shop to find her desired object. After perusing a display of rings, she was surprised to turn and see Lord Hawthorne. He was staring intently at a vase, rotating it in his fingers, carefully looking for any imperfections. Penelope openly stared at the man so long she was sure he could feel her eyes. After a few moments. he finally returned her gaze.

"Miss Redwood."

"Lord Hawthorne," she returned coldly.

His eyes fell briefly to her engagement ring before returning to her face. "How have you fared since you last visited me?"

"Quite well. I fear the same cannot be said for you." Penelope smiled thinly. "A certain vicar confirms what everyone in Milford already believes--that you are the Devil incarnate. I'm sure it makes finding a housekeeper virtually impossible."

Lord Hawthorne's face darkened at the mention of the vicar. "I'll find a housekeeper soon."

"I'm sure you will. I can think of countless women eager to serve a sinful master."

Lord Hawthorne's jaw tightened. "You've proven your point, Miss Redwood. My quest is absolutely hopeless."

His admission of defeat didn't merit any satisfaction, but Penelope felt a rush of it anyway. "I'm sure you wish you'd accepted my offer a fortnight ago."

He put the vase he was examining back on the shelf and picked up another. "I have no regrets about my decision a fortnight ago."

Penelope lowered her eyebrows in surprise. "Do you mean to tell me that if you knew what would've happened now, you still would've refused me?"