𝑻𝒘𝒐 ||𝑷𝒓𝒐𝒑𝒐𝒔𝒂𝒍

Coming home from her brother's and sister-in-law's unexpected janazaa in Mirpurkhas was a poignant journey for Haseena Begum and Karim Shah. Little did anyone know that Rubaab's parents had met an untimely demise, compelling an immediate burial. The gravity of the accident prevented timely notifications; they had to discreetly lay the couple to rest.

Upon returning home, Haseena Begum and Karim Shah gently coaxed Rubaab into much-needed rest, orchestrating a gathering of family members in the living room. Fatigued and unprepared for her parents' abrupt departure, rubaab left for her room. Karim sat beside Haseena Begum, whose eyes bore the weight of shared sorrow.

"Aj se mere bhai ki akhri nishani, unki beti hamare sath rahe gi" nodded Karim Shah, his gaze directed towards his siblings present. "Aj se Rubaab ko koi pareshani ane nhi deni hai hume. Rubaab bhi ab hamare ghar ki izzat hai. Tum sab apne bacho se kaho k usko khush amad mehsoos karae." Saima and Anabia exchanged glances, their expressions tinged with disdain. A girl, so young, residing with them? Unspoken questions lingered, but daring to ask Karim Shah was beyond their confidence.

(From today, my brother's last symbol, his daughter, will be with us.)
(From now on, Rubaab shouldn't face any trouble. Rubaab is now an honor to our home. Tell your children to make her feel welcomed and happy.)

Observing their discontent, Karim Shah addressed them, "Koi masala hai ap donon ko Saima or Anabia?" Startled, they stumbled on their words. "Bhai... Hum sab kese karenge uska khayal... Hum to usko jante bhi nhi hain...or hamare pass waqt hi kahan hota hai—" Anabia intervened, grappling with the responsibility of caring for a young girl in their household dominated by sons.

(Is there any issue between you two, Saima and Anabia?) (Brother, how will we manage her care? We don't even know her, and we hardly have any time.)

"Tumhe kuch karne ki zaroorat nhi hai Anabia... Meri bachi mai hi palungi..." Haseena Begum's intervention silenced Anabia. Glaring, she sighed, and Karim Shah took a deep breath. "Mai koi shikayat na sunon ap logon se aurton." Their collective departure reflected their disdain for women and their reasoning.

(You don't need to do anything, Anabia.)
(I will take care of my daughter. I won't entertain any complaints from you women.)

Haseena Begum and Raniya proceeded to Rubaab's room, while thoughts of unwarranted judgements echoed in the wake of their footsteps. "Had hai... Aisa bhi koi kisi ko yunhi ghar le ata hai... Or wo bhi jawan larki ko," saima murmured with a pensive expression. Anabia nodded, lost in contemplation. "Kya soch rahi ho tum ab?" Saima raised an eyebrow at Anabia. Seriousness emanated from her unexpected musings.

(Absurd! Does anyone bring someone home like this? And that too, a young girl?)
(What are you thinking now?)

"Yehi k agar Haseena Bhabhi le kar ain use is ghar mai... Zaroor kuch na kuch soch kar lain hogi... Mujhe dar hai wo apni bhateeji ko kahin apni bahun na bana len," anabia expressed her suspicion as they exchanged glances. "Sirf 15 ya 16 ki hai wo... itni choti larki se nhi karaengi wo shadi..." saima added. Despite Karim and Haseena granting their children the freedom to choose a life partner, the absence of daughters in their family escalated their concerns.

(She might have some intentions if Haseena Bhabhi brings her into this house. I'm afraid she might try to make her a daughter-in-law for her son)
(She's only 15 or 16... she won't marry such a young girl)

"Mujhe phir bhi bhai se bat karni hogi, Arsalan or Aliya ki shadi ki." Anabia announced her intent, leaving Saima to gaze at her back in disapproval. "Ye or iske mansoobe," Saima muttered as she retreated, nursing her own schemes.

(I still need to talk to my brother about Arsalan and Aliya's marriage)
(her and her implications)
_____________

Haseena and Karim Shah opted to approach Arsalan and Rubaab privately before disclosing their marriage plans to the rest of the family. Convincing Rubaab would potentially facilitate Arsalan's agreement, as Haseena discerned her son's need for a life companion to share his joys and sorrows. Arsalan, in stark contrast to the perpetually single Faizan, had already expressed his openness to marriage. Despite Rubaab's youth and lack of marital experience, Haseena remained steadfast in her belief that she was the right match for Arsalan.

Seated before Rubaab, Karim Shah placed a protective hand on her head, prompting her innocent gaze through long lashes. "Mere bache... Apki phuppo ko apse kuch bat karni hai." Rubaab, still sipping her chocolate milk, gazed at Karim Shah with innocent curiosity. Pakola chocolate-flavored juice added a sweet touch to her contemplative moment.

(My child... Your aunt wants to talk to you)

"Meri jaan.. ap janti hain humne apko apke chachu k sath q nhi rehne dia." Rubaab nodded, acknowledging the unspoken selfishness. "Hume chahte hain ap hamesha hamare sath rahe."

(My dear... you know why we didn't let you stay with your uncle. We want you to always be with us)

"Hum bhi yehi chate hain, Phuppo jaan." Haseena Begum smiled warmly. "Isliye hume apko yahan kanooni tareeqe se rakhna hoga. Hum apki custody jeetna chahte hain, lkin us ka sirf 1 hi tareeqe hai." After a moment of pause, Haseena Begum embraced Rubaab.

(We want the same, dear Phuppo. That's why we need to keep you here legally. We want to win your custody, and there's only one way to do it.)

"Hum chahte hain k ap shadi karlo." Breaking the hug, Rubaab exclaimed, "Phuppo, ham shadi karenge to apke saath kese rahe ge, silly?" Her laughter echoed through the room, doubling when Karim Shah joined in.

(Thats why, we want you to marry)
(How will I stay with you after marriage silly)

"Chal badmash, Phuppo ko pagal kehti hai. Or ap reh sakti hain shadi k bad mere sath. Apki shadi hum Arsalan se karna chahte hain." Haseena clarified her intention, while Rubaab, dramatically gasping, clutched her heart as if wounded.

(Go away, little troublemaker. You call Phuppo crazy, but you can stay with me after marriage. We want to marry you to Arsalan)

"Phuppo....wo to bhot chup chup hain.... Wo to humse itni si hi bat karte hai.... To wo Hume baba ki tarha gana kese sunaenge jese baba mama ko sunate the... Humne ni karni unse shadi." Rubaab stubbornly resisted, her playful demeanor adding a touch of innocence. Haseena's eyes grew solemn, reminded of her departed brother.

(Phuppo...he is quite reserved. He barely talks to me. How will he sing for me like Baba used to sing to Mama? I don't want to marry him)

"Arsalan apko or zyada khush rakhe ge. Ap janti ho... Wo acha larka hai. Or jab ap uski biwi ban jaogi, to wo or zada baten kare ga apse..." Haseena attempted to persuade Rubaab, striving for her understanding.

(Arsalan will make you even happier. You know, he's a good guy. And when you become his wife, he will talk even more with you.)

"Kya wo hame khush rakhe ge, Phuppo? Wo khelenge hamare sath? Hume racing karna acha lagta hai." Haseena nodded understandingly. Rubaab contemplated her decision; her father's advice echoed in her mind—always seek a reflection of her baba in the man she marries.

(Will he make me happy, Phuppo? Will he play with me? I like racing.)

"Well, agar Arsalan bhai hamare sath khelenge or humse piyar karenge to theek hai... Mai karlungi unse shadi." Haseena's smile radiated sincerity as she kissed Rubaab on the head, followed by a similar gesture from Karim Shah.

(Well, if Arsalan bhai plays with us and loves us, then it's okay. I will marry him.)

"Agar apko kisi bhi cheez ki zaroorat ho... to ap mujh se ya Arsalan se kehna... Theek hai, bache?" Karim Shah sought to reassure Rubaab. She nodded in acknowledgment, her innocence radiating.

(If you need anything, just tell me or Arsalan. Alright, my dear?)

"Or meri jaan.... Ap aik bat Arsalan se khud bhi pooch lena"
"Kyun... Kya wo nhi karna chahte mujh se shadi?" Rubaab's innocent inquiry emerged, prompting Haseena to elaborate. "Nhi beta... Aisa nhi hai ... Lkin agar ap bhi poocho gi to acha lage ga... or meri jaan is bare mai abhi or kisi ko nhi batana okay..." Rubaab's silent gesture, placing a finger on her lips, signaled her compliance.

(And my dear... Ask Arsalan about it yourself)
(Why... Do you think he doesn't want to marry me?)
(No, dear... It's not like that. But if you ask too, it would be nice. And my love, don't tell anyone else about this for now, okay?)

As Haseena Begum and Karim Shah exited her room, their thoughts converged on seeking Arsalan's concurrence.