𝑭𝒊𝒗𝒆||𝑯𝒆𝒂𝒓𝒕 𝒃𝒓𝒐𝒌𝒆𝒏

The dawn in the haveli unfolded with an unusual surprise, as Arsalan, Haseena's son, emerged as the first to embrace the morning light. Brimming with excitement, he sought his mother's company, lying down on the sofa with his head nestled on her lap.

"Mama, last night, Rubaab and I talked about marriage!" Arsalan initiated, sensing the calm serenity enveloping his mother, though a tidal wave of anticipation surged within her.

"And did she agree? Oh, Allah, Arsalan, if Rubaab had said no, what would my son do? Arsalan Shah!" Haseena playfully teased, attempting to gauge her son's reaction, only to be met with a hearty chuckle.

"Oh, come on! How could she say no? Haven't you seen how handsome your son is? It's obvious every girl would melt like butter!" Arsalan quipped, relishing in the banter with his mother.

"Hold on, handsome lad! Tell me what happened," Haseena inquired, her patience waning. "We both agreed, Ammi, apko jesa ke pata hai," Arsalan replied.

(As you already know)

"What were you trying to tell me, then?" Haseena realized the conversation had taken an unexpected turn. "Ammi, are we doing the right thing? Is this decision truly correct?" Doubts lingered, and answers eluded them.

Arsalan questioned his mother, who took a thoughtful pause before affirming, "Yes, absolutely correct. I know what I did, and I won't regret it, for sure." Arsalan nodded, seeking reassurance.

"When are you going to announce this to everyone else?" he queried. Haseena's eyes sparkled with excitement as she exclaimed, "Today! Aj hi bataungi or apne pyare se, handsome se bete ki shadi ki tiyaran shuru karungi!"

(I will tell them today and will start the prep of my handsome son wedding)

"Thank goodness Faizan isn't here! Otherwise, I'd be receiving a pointless thrashing!" Arsalan cheekily reminded her of his twin, prompting a playful smack on his twenty-five-year-old backside.
______

The ambiance resonated with the gentle clatter of plates and spoons, enveloping the dining room where the Shah family gathered for breakfast. Arsalan, having discussed matters with his mother earlier, was absent, having headed to the office. As the clock struck nine, each member engaged in lively conversation while savoring their morning meal.

Rubaab, present for the first time, struggled to keep her eyes open, juxtaposed against Sana, who animatedly chattered away. Haseena Begum nudged her husband's hand, prompting a moment of silence as all eyes turned to him.

"Humne Arsalan ki shadi karne ka faisla karlia hai!" he declared. Cheers and hoots erupted, and the elders beamed with joy. Anabia, contemplating her daughter's future, joyously remarked, "Humne apne Arsalan ke liye bhot achi larki dhundli hai bhai! Ap fikar mat karen!"

(We have decided to marry arsalan off)
(Don't worry bhai, we will choose the perfect bride for him)

Haseena, with a knowing smile, countered, "Uski zaroorat nahi hai, Anabia. Larki ghar mai hi hai!" Anabia reciprocated with a hopeful smile, envisioning her daughter as the chosen bride.

(There's no need for that. We already have the bride)

"Acha hai... Ab bata bhi den, kon hai?" Anabia eagerly inquired. Aliya's anticipation heightened, awaiting her Mumani's approving glance, but to her dismay, that moment never came. Anabia's happiness took a sudden turn when Haseena announced, "Rubaab! Rubaab or Arsalan ki shadi karenge hum! Take hamare sath rahe meri beti!"

(Thats good, who is that?)
(Rubaab will be the bride of him)

Anabia felt the ground slipping beneath her feet. "Bhai? Bhabhi ye kya keh rahe hain ap... Aisa kese kar sakte hain?" Anabia protested loudly, causing Rubaab to flinch. Her sudden outburst startled Rubaab, who had dozed off briefly.

(What are you saying, how can you do this)

"Aliya or Arsalan ki shadi ki bat hum pehle kar chuke the! Ap aise kaise badal sakte hain?" she demanded answers from Karim Shah. "Humne kaha tha sochenge! Or hume Rubaab pasand hai apne bete ke lie! Humne kabhi tumhe koi jawab nahi dia tha, Anabia!" Karim Shah asserted, emphasizing Arsalan's prior disagreement to marry Aliya but never objecting to Rubaab.

(Aliya and arsalan were set to marry, how can you do this?)
(We never agreed!)

Anabia's anger intensified by the second. Her resentment towards Rubaab reached its peak, and without restraint, she uttered words that left Rubaab and Haseena gasping.

"Apne maa baap ko to mar dia isne! Ab ap apne Arsalan ko marwana chahti hain is chhote shehar ki larki se? Jinke kam hi ye hi hote hain? Isko is ghar mai hafta hafta chaar din nahi hue or ye is ghar ki bahu banegi-"

(She's already killed her parents! Now, do you want her to lead Arsalan to his demise with this small-town girl? She's barely been in this house for a week, and she's already going to become the daughter-in-law of this house.)

Karim Shah's hand slammed on the table, creating a resounding noise. Rubaab flinched, tears welling up in her eyes. The words had pierced deep into her heart. Karim Shah glared at Anabia, warning her sternly, "Ainda agar aise bakwas mou se nikali to is ghar mai akhri din hoga tumhara! Koi nahi hai is ghar mai mere faisle ko mana karne wala!"

(If you ever say something if this sort, it will be the last day in this house!)

Anabia restrained herself, gripping her daughter's hand, and they ascended upstairs, heading towards their rooms. Haseena embraced Rubaab, comforting her as she shed silent tears, yearning for her parents and pondering their hurtful words.

Before she could say anything, Karim Shah reassured her, "Mere bete, aisa bilkul nahi jo wo bol kar gayi. Ap kisi ki barbadi nahi hosakti, meri jaan. Ap to dulhan banne wali ho. Inki baton ko bilkul dhiyan na do. Sana jao, Rubaab ko kamre mai le jao or thori der aram kara lo."

(My son, she's not at all what she said. Your destruction is not possible, my dear. You are going to be the bride. Pay no attention to their words. Sana, take Rubaab to the room, let her rest for a while.)

Karim Shah addressed rubaab lovingly, and Sana promptly escorted Rubaab upstairs, providing solace.

"Karim Shah... Mai keh rahi hun... Aisa agar dubara us ne kuch kia... To mujh se bura koi nahi hoga!" Haseena asserted, making her way to her room, leaving Karim Shah to sigh.

(I am saying karim, if anything like this happen again, it wont be good)
_____________

Aliya's cries echoed through the air, her heart shattering at the thought of Arsalan belonging to someone else. Since entering the house, her mother had instilled the belief that she would be his wife, the eldest daughter-in-law of the Shah family. Rubaab's arrival had snatched away her happiness.

Harboring resentment toward Rubaab, Aliya wiped her tears harshly, declaring, "Kabhi khush nahi rehne dungi... Kabhi nahi," while glaring at an invisible foe before her.

(I wont let you be happy)

Simultaneously, Anabia harbored a deep-seated hatred for Rubaab, contemplating ways to break the seventeen-year-old girl. Gritting her teeth, she envisioned never allowing Rubaab to find happiness, vowing to make her pay. Anabia became that one person in their lives who, regardless of loss, felt no remorse, forgetting that Allah would ultimately hold them accountable. In her determination, she swore to sabotage Rubaab and Arsalan's happiness at any cost.