𝟑 - 𝐂𝐎𝐋𝐃-𝐇𝐄𝐀𝐑𝐓𝐄𝐃

"Good evening," the deep voice of my boss caused me to swivel my chair towards the doorway.

As expected, Mr. Alhaitham had come to my office after work. It was only thirty minutes after my work hours were done, so I was surprised that he had made it at such a good time considering how busy he was.

"Good evening," I greeted him, slinging my bag over my shoulder, "shall we go?"

"Mm," he nodded and waited for me to reach him before walking. He held open the door for me as we stepped onto the elevator.

So courteous.

Stop that–don't fall for the bare minimum, (Y/n)!

The elevator was quite small and I found myself feeling somewhat crammed in next to Mr. Alhaitham. I had never been particularly claustrophobic, but I really couldn't bear the awkwardness of being in this elevator. On top of that, he was a good amount taller than me to the point where he was almost towering over me. Although he didn't exactly give off a super scary vibe, no one could deny that due to his build he seemed somewhat intimidating. I looked at him out of the corner of my eye and saw that he was staring blankly at the wall, the red pupils in his emerald eyes swimming as he appeared to be lost in thought.

Bing.

The elevator reached the lobby's floor and the doors slid open. I exited the space at my nearest opportunity then glanced behind to check if Alhaitham was still there. Sure enough, he was gazing at me with a rather cryptic air as he walked behind me. Why did I even look back? It's not like he can vanish into thin air.

"Is something wrong?"

He turned his gaze away. "...No. I apologize if I was staring."

"No worries," I shrugged, "we're going to have to 'stare' at each other a lot now that you're going to be my pretend husband."

Alhaitham's footsteps paused abruptly as if my words had been surprising to him. Well, he's going to have to get used to it. If we're going to be going in public, the press may ask for some public showing of affection. Whether it's harassment or not, that's what the press does.

"Ahem. Sorry. You caught me off guard by saying that so suddenly," Alhaitham put a hand over his mouth and readjusted himself, "but we should get used to speaking on friendlier terms."

"Oh shi–I mean, shoot!" I glanced around fervently and lowered my voice to a whisper. "What if someone overheard us?! We're going to be screwed!"

"Ah, I checked that no one was around when we left the elevator. I would've prevented you from speaking had there been someone around."

Prevented me from speaking? How exactly would he do that?

Alhaitham's face gave nothing away as he walked ahead of me, opening the large glass doors of the office building so I could walk through.