𝟏𝟎 - 𝐀+ 𝐁𝐑𝐄𝐀𝐊𝐅𝐀𝐒𝐓

The next morning was a momentous occasion; it was time for our first breakfast together as 'husband and wife

 The next morning was a momentous occasion; it was time for our first breakfast together as 'husband and wife.' I decided that I wanted to try to make something, so I simply went for the extremely traditional blueberry pancakes with eggs on the side. I woke up at five to ensure that I got up before my boss, then got to work. Alhaitham had essentially everything anyone would need to cook in his pantry, so it wasn't difficult to find the necessary ingredients that I normally used.

As I was mixing the batter, footsteps rang through the house as someone headed down the stairs. Slightly nervous, I flitted my gaze anxiously over to the stairwell, trying to think of what I should say to Alhaitham once he came down. 'Good morning' is too friendly, right? 'Greetings' is far too formal though...

"Good morning," his deep voice threw me out of my thoughts. I felt my body involuntarily freeze up at his morning voice, the batter I was mixing slowing to a still as I gazed at him like a deer in the headlights.

"G-good morning," I managed to stutter out, completely aware that my face was probably bright red. "Do you feel better today?"

"Yeah," he rubbed his eyes slowly and cleared his throat. "Why are you cooking? You didn't have to, the servants could have taken care of it."

I resumed mixing the batter. "Well, that's true, but they must have to work a lot anyways. It wouldn't hurt to take one task off of their shoulders. They already do a lot of chores on my behalf, so I feel like I should return the favor somehow..."

Alhaitham looked at me, seemingly a little surprised. "I've never heard anyone in your position say such things. Most people would do as little work as possible if they could."

"It's not like I enjoy drowning myself in work–oh, no offense–but I don't think that sitting around and doing nothing all the time is exactly my style. I mean, I do enjoy taking days off, but it just feels weird to be staying at someone else's house and doing absolutely nothing."

He didn't reply, simply walking up and standing beside me. Alhaitham was four inches away from me, which by all means was a decent amount of personal space, but I felt incredibly self-conscious. I was still wearing a comfortable sweatshirt and sweatpants, so I really didn't look the least bit presentable.

"There's no need to feel self-conscious," he spoke as if reading my mind, "this is your house as well as mine now, after all."

Huh?

I immediately spun my head to stare at him in bewilderment, but he looked quite flustered by his own words.

"Please don't overthink that."

"Hahaha, of course!" I laughed awkwardly and turned my focus back to my cooking. If I hadn't done that, the situation certainly would've gotten so tense that it could be sliced with a knife...

. . .

"Breakfast is served!" I cheerfully placed a plate of my creation in front of Alhaitham.

Honestly, I was pretty proud of my work. A perfectly cooked blueberry pancake was at the center of the plate, along with scrambled eggs and an assortment of fresh fruit. Rordan Gamsey would be drooling at the sight of this dish!

Well, that was a bit of an over-exaggeration, but still–!

"It looks delicious," Alhaitham said in a monotone voice as he stared intensely at the dish.

I sat down opposite him on the table and waited for him to begin eating... but he didn't. He just sat there, staring like a dead fish at the breakfast I had made for him. I thought maybe he was lost in thought, so I just sat there waiting for a solid two minutes, but after that long, it became apparent that there was something wrong.

"Um, Mr. Alhaitham? Is there something wrong with the dish?" I felt a little hurt by his hesitance to eat it, but then I realized that he might think that I poisoned this to reap from his bank account. "I can eat it first if you want. We could swap plates or I could eat a little from both of them to prove that it's not poisoned."

Alhaitham's gaze lifted towards me, seemingly in shock at my statement. So that wasn't it, huh?

"That was rude of me, I apologize," he continued to glance between me and the pancakes. "The truth is, I have never had a pancake in my life before. From the start of my life, my parents have insisted that I only eat protein bars for breakfast."

"What."

(Y/n)'s brain does not compute.

I know some people that only eat one food for breakfast, and I just have no idea how that's possible. Starting out with the same exact thing every day must get somewhat tiring right? (As if I'm one to talk considering every single school day I just have a banana and protein bar...)