Chapter 6: A hobbit

A/N: 10. 07. 2022

Hey everyone, new update! 🥰 Please make sure to leave a vote before you start the story, it would mean a lot ♡

BY THE WAY, exciting news! The Ranking System #3 is coming out as a paperback this month 🥰 August 27th, mark your calendars!!!

Question: how many hours do you spend on your phone on average?

Me? Too much 💀

✏✏✏

We walked to the nearest grocery store and grabbed a cart. I could tell Oliver didn’t like going outside. He had this grumpy face and a 'don't talk to me' aura coming off of him. There was a box of cereal, but when I tried to reach for it, it was way out of my reach. 

“I’ll get it for you,” he said. 

“No!” I blurted, catching his arm. I felt his biceps by accident and immediately released him. He cocked his head to the side, confused. 

“I can do it myself," I explained. 

"You're too short."

I gasped. "Am not!"

"You're the hobbit."

My mouth dropped. "How dare you use a Lord of the Rings reference to insult me, you cultured swine."

“It’s just a box of cereal, Daniel," he sighed.

“You’re a writer, you should know about this stuff.”

“What stuff?”

“Haven’t you read any romance books?"

He stared at me.

“This is how cheesy stories start off," I began to explain. "The main character reaches for something in a shelf that's too high and then the whole shelf topples over, but the love interest shields them from getting hurt and then they run off together and get married in Las Vegas!" I exclaimed. 

Oliver opened his mouth but decided not to bother. 

“Fine, I’ll get you a ladder.” 

He found a ladder and gestured toward it. I thanked him and climbed up, grabbing the cereal, feeling pretty proud of myself. I put it in our cart but when I stepped down, I accidentally missed the footing. I yelped as I fell back. 

I thought this moment would be like in the movies, slow-mo and dramatic. But shit, I felt like I saw my life flash before my eyes like lightning. Gravity had no mercy and yanked me down, and I crashed into Oliver, whose strong arms caught me before I could land on the floor. His hairy face and beautiful eyes were only inches away from me. 

"Ack!" I screamed, pushing his face away. The violent gesture surprised him and he dropped me to the floor.

"Ouch," I mumbled, rubbing my hack.

"Same," he said. "I'm not that hideous."

Oh shit, oh shit, oh shit. 

“Sorry, I didn't mean to push you away!” I stammered, quickly getting up. 

"Then what were you trying to do?" 

Trying to push you away.

He didn’t say anything and we continued doing the groceries. When we went to the cashier, I saw a familiar face on one of the magazines. Aaron Schiller had a photoshoot with Vogue magazine. I picked it up, staring at his handsome face. He was wearing a red suit that complimented his olive skin, his open jacket showing his strong six-pack. He really had the looks, didn’t he?