𝖎

𝕿𝖍𝖎𝖘 was not the first time Donna had heard the story of the Sanderson sisters. At least one of her teachers told the class the story around Halloween, not to mention she was a descendant of the Sanderson Sisters. Not that it was much to brag about in Donna's eyes. Being a descendant of a famously known witch often led to rumors that she herself was a witch. Donna dabbled in witchcraft, and so did her mother, and her mothers mother, you get the idea.

              "And so, the Sanderson sisters were hanged by the salem townsfolk." Her english teacher told the class, parading around the room with a witches hat on. "Now, there are those who say that on Halloween night, a black cat still guards the old Sanderson house..." She continued, standing between rows of desks. Donna's was in the far back corner by the door, dozing on and off through the class. "...warning off any who might make the witches come back to life!" Then the teacher yelled and tossed a roll of black paper streamer at a red head head to her. The red head screamed in surprise, the rest of the class laughed it off.

                "Gimme a break." A quite voice muttered from a boy a few seats away from Donna. He wore a tie-dye tshirt over a black long sleeve with an unamused look on his face. Donna didn't recognize him, but she did know that he was new in Salem.

              "Oh! We seem to have a skeptic in our midst. Mr. Dennison, would you care to share your California, laid-back, tie-dye, point of view?" The teacher said, the class laughed again, Donna smirked and shook her head.

              "Okay." Max said chuckling. "Granted that you guys here in Salem are all into there black cats and witches and stuff." He started, the students around him scoffed. "But everyone here knows that Halloween was invented by the candy companies." He told them, shrugging. Their teacher seemed shocked by this statement. "It's a conspiracy." The class booed loudly.

               "Actually, Halloween is based on an ancient feast called All Hallows' Eve." Max's head turned to the other side of the room to look at Allison. "It's the one night of the year where the spirits of the dead can return to Earth." She finished, everyone clapped. Max blinked stupidly at Allison. Allison was the most popular girl at school, not to mention she was just as pretty as she was smart. The boy stood from his desk with a paper in hand.

              "Well incase Jimi Hendrix shows up tonight, call me." Max smirked down at her as she raised and eyebrow at him. The bell rang and Donna pulled on her coat and slung her bag over shoulder upon exiting.

              "You don't stand a chance, Max." She heard a boy say on her way out. Donna was in the cemetery on her way home when voices caught her ear. The town airbag druggies, Jay and "Ice", were poking and prodding at Max Dennison. He stood in confusion on his bike. The boys let out obnoxious laughter as they probably tried to get smokes off him. Donna shook her head and rolled her eyes as she sauntered over to Max's side.

              "Let's have a butt!" Jay exclaimed.

               "I don't smoke." Max stated, his tone monotonous.

               "You got any cash, Hollywood?" Ice asked. Jay leaned in over Max's bike handles. Max shook his head.

              "No." He tried to ride away when Ice grabbed him by the back of his coat, Jay blocking his way.

              "Gee. We don't get any smokes from ya, we don't get any cash. What am I supposed to do with my afternoon?" Ice asked Max.

              "Maybe you could, I don't know,  get a life." Donna interrupted, her arms crossed over her chest and her one eyebrow raised. Max recognized her from class, she had sat in the back quietly. Jay and Ice froze, partially in fear.

               "Or learn to breathe through your nose?" Max suggested smugly, Jay let out an obnoxious laugh before Ice glared at him until he stopped.

                "You know this freaky witch bitch?" Jay questioned Max, not moving his eyes from Donna.

              "I-" Max couldn't find anything to say as he too, stared at the blonde girl.

              "Leave him alone, go find someone else to bother." Donna instructed the older boys, who shook in her presence. "Go on, piss off." She stated towards them, Max watched her jerk her head in the direction of Ice. His pants fell to his ankles, revealing his heart covered boxers. They older boys gasped and ran. Max watched in astonishment.

                "Uhm, thanks." Max let out a relieved sigh, giving her a smile.

                 "No problem." Donna shrugged. "I'm Donna." She introduced herself, holding her hand out for him to shake.           

          "I'm Max Dennison." He said back, shaking her hand.

              "Yeah, I know." Donna said. "You just moved here, huh?" She asked him, letting go of his hand.

             "Yeah, last week." Max replied, nodding his head.

               "Salem's pretty different compared to California, isn't it?" She said to him, gesturing to the color changing trees around them. A necklace around her neck caught Max's eyes.

                "Yeah, that's for sure." Max muttered, shaking his brown hair from his eyes.

              "What? You don't like it here?" Donna joked, smirking at him.

           "Don't get me wrong, the leaves are great, but... I don't know. Just all this Halloween stuff." Max shrugged, Donna nodded in agreement.

               "You don't believe in it?" Donna raised a questioning eyebrow at him.

              "You mean the Sanderson sisters? No way." Max shook his head. An idea creeped in to Donna's mind, her blue eyes shining mischievously.

               "Well, today's your lucky day. You're looking right at one." Donna smiled nonchalantly at him. Max seemed confused by this statement.

               "Looking right at what? A Sanderson sister? I don't believe it." Max chuckled, shaking his head in disbelief.

             "You don't believe me?" Donna asked slowly starting to walk again. "Not even on Halloween?" She smirked at him again as he rode next to her.

             "Especially not on Halloween." Max said back. Donna hummed in response.

             "Well, I guess I'll see you around tonight, Hollywood. Happy Halloween." Donna said over her shoulder as he watched her walk away. Her mother was in the kitchen when she arrived home. She had been brewing some sort of herbal tea for Donna and herself.

             "You're costume is on your bed, are you sure you aren't going out tonight?" Her mother, Marlene, asked her daughter, who dropped her bag by the door and sat down at the table.

               "Mom, I'm sure. I can pass out candy tonight. Go to that party with, uh, what's his name?" Donna pretended to think and tapped her chin. "Oh, that's right, it's Steven, right?" She tried, knowing she was wrong. Marlene let out a sigh and poured Donna a cup of tea.

             "It's Todd, actually. Remember there's a full moon out, so set out your power crystals." Marlene reminded Donna who sipped on the tea.

            "Don't let the werewolves get you while you're out tonight." Donna teased, standing from the table and heading upstairs to her room. The costume that laid on her bed was a knee-length black dress with long sleeves, and a pair of orange and black striped tights. A pointy witches hat sat next to the clothes. She changed, put on her black high top converse, and laid her crystals out on the windowsill. Leaving the Sanderson witches crest necklace around her neck. Marlene had gotten ready for her night out and Todd came to pick her up. Leaving Donna alone with The Nightmare On Elm Street and a bowl of candy. Soon the doorbell was ringing and she was handing out candy to kids that came to the door. Donna had mischievously enchanted one of the pumpkins on the porch to sing spooky songs and scare people as they walked up the porch.