chapter fifteen

"Are you still mad at me about last night?"

I glance over at Olivia sitting in the passenger seat of my truck.

"No, Liv, I'm not mad."

"Then why are you in a mood?"

I shrug. "Just tired."

That's not a lie. I didn't sleep much last night, but my apparent mood has more to do with the shitty reality check I had this morning than my lack of sleep.

Being around Abby was easy when I didn't really know her. She's hot, but it's not like I'm not around hot girls all the time. Hooking up with her was easy because I was drunk and I told myself it was just another hookup, just another one-time thing, like every other girl. It wasn't until after the bathroom incident that things changed, and it wasn't until this morning that I realized I wanted her, really wanted her, in more than my usual hookup-only way.

The scent of her vanilla apple spice perfume lingered on my bedsheets last night, which made falling asleep without fantasizing about her impossible. I thought the hot shower would clear my mind, but it only ended up spurring the memory of me pushing her up against the bathroom wall. The memory of how her naked body felt under my tongue was enough to make me hard, but it was her fucking breathy moans that sent me over the edge in my own hand, imagining what it would sound like to make her moan my name again.

"I like her, you know," Olivia chirps, pulling me out of my quickly spiraling thoughts. When I look over, she's watching me with a sportive smile.

"Who?"

"Abby." She rolls her eyes. "And I think you do, too."

I turn up the radio to shut her up, but she just talks louder.

"I can tell that she likes you. Why don't you ask her out?"

I'm not about to tell my baby sister about my only fuck them once rule, so I just shrug.

"I don't need a girlfriend right now, Liv. I need to focus on school and the rest of this season before the draft."

She raises a brow. "That sounds like a bullshit excuse."

It does sound like a bullshit excuse, even to me, but it's the reality of the situation. That, and the fact that even if we did date, I'd be leaving in a few months to join whatever NBA team drafts me, and I doubt it's going to perfectly coincide with whatever graduate school she ends up going to.

Why start something that already has an expiration date on it?

I try to push the thought of Abby to the back of my mind as I pull into the driveway of my parents' house, next to the familiar shiny black Kia with a baby on board sticker stuck to the back window.

"Mel's here." Olivia hums as she pushes open her door and drops down onto the cement barefoot, her platform heels dangling from her hand as she runs up the driveway and into the house.