chapter thirty-one

I can't stop smiling like a fucking idiot

Not when Micah and Luke busted my balls for "that truly award-winning performance" after I walked out to get Abby a glass of water. Not when Luke came along to help me change my blown tire and wouldn't shut the fuck up about how he'll "never be able to see Ryan the same way again." And definitely not now, as Abby pulls open the passenger side door of my truck that's currently idling in front of her apartment building.

She's practically drowning in my hoodie and the smallest pair of sweats I could find, but even though she tied them as tightly as she could, they're still dangerously close to falling down her legs if she doesn't keep a hand secured on the waistband.

Reaching over to help her into my truck, she smiles up at me as she tucks the black tote bag and her backpack onto the seat beside us.

"Okay, all set," she chirps, pulling her seat belt into place.

She's already messing with the stereo controls to get the CD to play, and I don't bother trying to hide the ridiculous grin on my face because when I look over at the girl sitting in my passenger seat with her hair pulled up into a messy knot and the residual glow from our time spent locked in my room, she's wearing the same damn smile on her perfectly swollen lips.

The last few minutes of sunlight are finally poking through the passing storm clouds, and the golden light catches her silhouette, illuminating around her like a halo. She's fucking glowing, radiating the warmest energy I've ever felt as she leans back in her seat, eyes closed softly, head tilted back against the headrest, humming along to the song playing through my shitty old speakers. She turns up the volume as I pull back onto the main road, and an undeniable warmth spreads through my chest. Like a flame, she's warming my entire body just by sitting here beside me.

I try to focus on the traffic congesting the streets around campus to keep from stealing glances at her, but every time we hit a red light, I find myself focusing on how her voice sounds singing along to the songs she put together just for me—for us. I reach out and capture her hand in mine, resting our intertwined fingers on my leg. I don't need to look over to know that she's looking at me, but when I finally break and glance over, her surprised smile deepens as our eyes meet. She scoots a little closer, resting her head on my shoulder like she did when we were on our way to my grandparents' house.

When I asked her to stay the night with me, it didn't take much convincing. I think it helped that I was midway through lathering her up with my body wash and pressing soft kisses to the new bruise blooming on her neck. Her argument about not having her clothes, books, or laptop all fell to the wayside when my lips trailed slowly across her jaw to connect with hers. When a content sigh rumbled in the back of her throat as my tongue slid through her eager lips, I knew I'd already won.

The sun is setting by the time we finally pull into my driveway, and the loss of sunlight drops the temperature even more. I reach over and grab her tote and backpack before she can and toss them both over one shoulder, holding a hand over her back as she walks up the icy drive. Her steps are careful to avoid any ice patches, and when she pushes open the front door, the instant warmth inside welcomes us.