chapter thirty-two

I woke up this morning to the feel of Tristan's stubble grazing across my skin as he brushed slow, soft kisses up my spine

I woke up this morning to the feel of Tristan's stubble grazing across my skin as he brushed slow, soft kisses up my spine. His lips trailed across my shoulder and up my neck, and when I rolled onto my back to pull him closer, his lips lingered on the tender bruise on my neck until they finally connected with mine. I could tell by his damp curls and the fresh smell of his body wash that he had just gotten back from his early morning workout.

I could have spent the entire morning like that, lazily exploring his mouth while his hands trailed down my naked body. They stopped only to hook under my knees and pull my legs around him as he hovered above me, grinding his hips into me in a torturously slow, teasing motion. I was practically panting by the time his fingers grazed across my hip bone, and I was fully expecting it to lead to him shedding his clothes and us cutting class to stay in bed like we did Monday and Wednesday morning, but when I tried to tug his sweatpants down, he chuckled and pressed a final kiss to my shoulder before retreating.

The past three days have been a blissful blur, and I'm honestly still waiting to wake up and realize that all of this was some incredibly vivid dream.

On Monday night, after he got out of practice, Tristan showed up at my apartment with a bouquet of roses, a box of chocolates, and a corsage for our dinner date. It was simultaneously the most adorable and hilarious thing to watch him slip the flower onto my wrist with such concentration. When he finally had it secured, he stepped back to get a better look as I modeled it for him by posing with my hand on my hip.

Since I skipped prom, both junior and senior year, I haven't ever worn a corsage, so I can't deny that it felt kind of amazing to have it on my wrist, even if it was a bit over the top for dinner at Vinny's. His dimple indented every time his eyes found the flower as we ate, so I happily obliged when he requested that I keep it on after we got back to my apartment and he helped me out of my dress, leaving me in nothing but the flower bracelet as his lips explored my already tingling body.

On Tuesday, I was fresh out of the shower from my shift at the diner when he called. I had just pulled on the hoodie he left for me and a pair of polka-dotted pajama pants when his face flashed on my phone. I was fully prepared just to hang out like we usually do on our FaceTimes, but he explained that we were going to be pressing play on the same movie at the same time so we could watch it together while on FaceTime. As if that wasn't already the cutest thing in the world, his dimple was the deepest I've ever seen when he told me to go check the pantry where he had secretly stocked the same popcorn, Hershey Kisses, and sour straws that he had brought to Arizona with him, because, "if we eat the same snacks it's like we're really together."

It was the cheesiest and most adorable thing he's ever done. I could hear Micah and Luke giving him shit the entire time he was explaining it, and when he mentioned the snacks, their howls of laughter echoed through my phone until Tristan finally kicked them out of the hotel room and told them to go find a park bench to sleep on.