Chapter 5

A bubble of laughter trickles from my lips. The wind batters the window and Edward stares at me with a flat mouth, unamused.

"I thought you were immortal now," I say, pouring myself another drink.

"Well, the immortality elixir doesn't cover beheading, I'm afraid," he says in a monotone voice.

I open my mouth to speak again when the bird, still perched on the windowsill, gurgles. Our heads snap towards it. It cranes its head back and its throat bobbles as it chokes and gags. Until finally, it vomits a tiny, crumpled ball of parchment dripping in saliva.

Edward swoops over and snatches it up. The Mercuree spins around and leaps from the ledge. As it spreads its black wings, the wind catches it, and it soars into the clouds. He grimaces as he pries open the sodden paper. His lip bends.

"They know where we are, and they will be on their way to the Floodgates." His voice is barely louder than the murmuring fireplace.

I quirk my brows. "I sure didn't see that one coming. You forced them to battle and then dropped them once you discovered the elixir."

He rubs his chin, ignoring my comment. "I need to prepare the army for their arrival. I'm an idiot for letting them live."

My chest burns. "You're going to kill them?"

"They're all beasts, anyway. All corpses to be." He swallows. "I will do them a favour. Besides, do you really want them coming after the kingdom?"

I blow out a shaky breath and stare at the coppery liquor in my grasp. "Not quite."

"There's few of them left. With a big enough army, we can remove them as a threat." He leans back into the couch. "It is time I put the Red Movement behind me once and for all."

"Why? You were so determined to make something of yourself there," I say, placing the tumbler on the table between us.

Something flashed in his eyes. "It isn't your job to question me."

His sharp tone doesn't make me so much as flinch. I narrow my eyes. "It was fear," I say. "Something drove you to leave. You were afraid. Was someone after you? After revenge?"

He purses his lip, and his cheeks redden. "Nosy, you are."

I stifle a dry laugh. "Fine. Tell me when you trust me."

"Will you fight for me, Elle?" he asks, voice taking on a drawl as the alcohol works its way deep into his brain.

"I suppose I have no choice." The words tumble out before I have the chance to process his question.

He shrugs. Then he throws his head back and calls for his herald. The tall, slender man has such long limbs and wide eyes that he reminds me of a stick insect as he lumbers into the room.

"Yes, Edward?" His voice is nasally and makes me grimace.

"Can you send a message to Ruben in the Convex Sector?" he says, and I startle. "I need him in my office tomorrow morning to discuss his progress."

"What progress?" I ask.

"None of your concern, Elle." His white hair shines in the firelight. "Besides, tomorrow, you will need to train."

The herald scurries out of the room with his instructions.

"Blades are my strength," I say. "Let me train with a bow. It will be useful for taking down the beasts."

He smiles, but it doesn't meet his eyes. "Come to my office after your training tomorrow. I will have a speech prepared for you, which I need you to perform tomorrow evening."