Chapter 10

The double doors creak as I push them open ajar. I cringe, slipping through, and closing them behind me. Darkness shrouds the room like the belly of a beast. Only the occasional candle splashes flickering light through the aisles. I grab a lantern from the shelf by the door and light the wick before padding silently across the polished wooden floorboards. Dust and the distinctive smell of old books cling to my nostrils, reminding me of my sister with a painful jolt in my heart. The monsters and creatures section is the last set of aisles, deep in the trenches of the library. I hold the lantern up to the shelves crammed with books and run my finger over the spine as I drift down the aisle. I'm not even sure what I'm searching for. But I have a feeling it would be here. Right?

The lantern flecks the hard spines, making the titles glow. There are books on monsters I have never heard of. Finally, it jumps out at me.

'The Lore of the Shadowteeth.'

I pluck the book from the shelf and hasten to one of the shadow-drenched leather couches. As I rest the lantern on the side table and sink into the couch, fear prickles my skin. I open the book and skim the pages. I notice it was written by a predecessor of Ruben's father.

The Shadowteeth is an enormous squid-like monster with eight tentacles that lives in the depths of the lake beyond the walls of the Floodgates. Its blood has a dark crimson appearance that appears to shimmer when held in the light.

This blood has properties man would only dream of wielding. If the citizens of the Floodgates understood its power, I fear we would lose our grip and our control over the kingdom. We would face utter anarchy. Why? Because the Shadowteeth's blood has healing abilities. It can heal wounds, and ailments, and cure disease. It can extend one's natural life. Immortality is only a few drops away. But this is a weapon that could destroy the last remnants of humanity.

But there is a catch. There always must be a catch because nature must find a balance. The blood of the Shadowteeth will gradually strip away at a person's psyche, bringing them closer to madness, one drop at a time. The person drinking the blood will turn to violence. They may murder others, or themselves.

However, there is a rare herb that could only be found in the wilderness beyond our walls. It is called the Devil's Ivy. When the leaves are dried and crushed into a powder and consumed, they can counteract the abilities of the Shadowteeth blood. This is because the Devil Ivy is poisonous to the Shadowteeth monster itself. One could also mix the herb into the blood and if consumed, the blood would not have any effects.

I sit back, staring at the jumping flame in the lantern. As I shut the book, a small loose piece of paper slips out. Frowning, I pull it out and open it.

"Ed's Note: There is only one plant of the Devil Ivy left. It's in the place she should have always been."

Blood roars past my ears as I stare at the paper. The place she should have always been.

Who is she?

My breathing wavers and the silence of the room fills my ears.

"Elle!"

Fear jumps down my throat and I curse, slapping the book shut with the note inside before whirling around. My hand flies to my pounding chest.

"What the hell, Ruben?" I hiss as he emerges from the shadows into the light of the lantern.

"He's wondering where you are." He runs a hand through his hair, nodding towards the door. "Did you find anything?"

"It's an herb called the Devil's Ivy," I say, jabbing the book cover. "There's a note in here. Edward's note. It says it's in the place she should have always been. Do you know what that means? Who is she?"