Chapter 31

Pools of moonlight drench the left of the room, splashing in through the arched windows. I pull the door open, and slip out onto the balcony, sighing as the breeze grazes my cheeks. Edward steps out behind me. One hand grips the balcony rail, while the other holds the goblet of wine. The stars speckle the somber night sky.

"This looks familiar," Edward says, his voice husky. "Not long ago, I recall you standing here, watching the army below us, flinging some choice words my way."

I scoff, sipping the wine. "A time when you did, in your own way, care for protecting the kingdom."

He arches his brows, shifting his torso, leaning an elbow on the railing. "You think I no longer want to protect the kingdom?"

We watch a couple of the guards below switch their shifts for the night. "I can't help but question you when you allow the Red Movement to live here."

He chuckles, taking a healthy gulp of his drink. "I also recall a time when you would have fought for them to seek refuge in the walls. Wasn't that how we began our little quibble?"

I frown as the moon disappears behind a murky patch of clouds, sheltering us in darkness. "But they no longer just want to live here in peace. They sent a Mercuree letter, wishing for your head on a spike. That isn't the kind of people I want here. Nor is it the kind I trust."

"Do you think they will try to steal my reign?"

I blow out my cheeks. "I believe we need to protect ourselves. Couldn't we ask Ruben to train a secret regiment? One that's prepared for an attack. He is still your army's command, isn't he?"

"The commander. The son my father chose. My brother. The one you love." Shadows grow darker, and colder with each word he flings at me. "Ruben has many titles. Many roles."

I roll my eyes. "Why can't you let him go? What is your obsession with controlling people's freedom?" My jaw tightens, and I fumble through an array of insults to hurl at him. But choose to settle on what needs to be done. "You should let Ruben organise a secret regiment. We will swear the soldiers to secrecy, so word doesn't get out that it exists. I will join."

"Why do you insist on this?" He studies my face. "What have you heard?"

"Nothing." A lie, of course. "But we should be prepared, just in case. Isn't that what you wanted?"

He smacks his lips and runs a hand through his white-blond hair. "Fine. But they mustn't find out. Not with the treaty."

"They won't." I lean forward, my ribs pressing against the balcony. The wind picks up, playing with wisps of my hair. An ember of curiosity burns through my chest. I turn my chin to him. "Do you ever wonder what your life might have been like if your father never exiled your mother?"

He clenches his jaw, a twitch in his eye. "I imagine I'd have grown up in the Convex Sector. I can't imagine he'd have let his bastard son too close to the palace. Perhaps, we'd have been childhood friends, Elle. Like you and Aston."

I purse my lips, but a laugh escapes me. "Can you imagine?" The amused grin stretches across my face. "You, me, and Aston? Three buddies playing by the farms?"

"I always wanted friends to play with as a child," he says, plucking at the cuff of his shirt. "I used to play with my mother. She taught me how to weave, how to cook, and how to write in cursive. Even how to hunt and read. During my early years, we lived with the Untamed tribe, and moved throughout the kingdom of the wilderness."

"It must be nice to no longer move everywhere," I say.

"After she died, I fled Aurelia, and found the remains of the Red Movement building. It was little more than an old, rotting factory that I turned into my own kingdom. But it never felt like home. This city... is how I imagine belonging feels like."

I drum my fingers on the rail. "Then you agree. We must protect this place.

He hangs his head, copying me by leaning onto the rail. "You're right." Edward slumps his shoulders. "I hate to say it, but do you want to fetch that brother of mine? We'll talk to him about it."

"I'm only worried he is too mad for leadership or any form of clarity." I drink the last of my wine. "Can you let him ween off the shadowteeth blood?"

He grinds his teeth, those green eyes flashing. "I'm not sure –" A deep sigh, refusing to meet my gaze. "How can I trust you all won't turn against me?"

"I'm not out to get you anymore, Edward." I shift my weight, turning my body him. "I do care about you. You know I don't trust the way that dark magic is affecting you."

He opens his mouth to respond. But the muscles in his face freeze, his lips hanging open. He collapses to the balcony floor, twitching and shaking.

"Edward? Edward!" I grab his shoulders, shaking him. But his eyes roll into the back of his head.

His twitches become full-on spasms and a scream festers and stretches in the back of my throat like a beast awakening from a deep slumber. Finally, just as suddenly as it started, his body stills. His eyes close.

"Edward?" I dare tap his face. But his skin is pallid. "No. No."

Did the concoction kill him? No... it can't have.

I check his pulse. It thrums beneath my fingertips. At last, he gasps, and sits bolt upright, sweat forming beads on his pale forehead, his eyes darting around.

"Edward. Are you alright?"

His green and amber-flecked eyes land on me, and they soften. "Elle." He reaches out, brushing his fingers across my cheek.

I want to flinch away. But I don't.

He tucks a curl behind my ear. "What happened?"

"You... collapsed." A lump forms in the back of my throat and I swallow. "Should we take you to the nurse?"

He shakes his head, blinking. "I think I just need to lie down." I help him up, and we waddle to the linen couch.

He flops, his arm falling above his head, resting on the arm of the couch. I help him stretch his legs out, and within minutes, he falls asleep.

As I sit on the opposite couch, my mind whirs. Not only does my blood counteract the shadowteeth effects, but apparently, it also makes the receiver sick.

An idea blooms to life and rattles around my skull. I stare at Edward and a smile stretches across my face as a plan, my plan settles.