27

Zane and I glided through the ballroom, hand in hand, searching for his parents amidst the sea of guests. As we spotted them, a warm smile illuminated his mother's face, her eyes brimming with happiness.

"I was hoping for this," she exclaimed joyfully, taking me in a warm hug after we told her the news. Her embrace radiated a genuine affection, welcoming me into their family with open arms. Zane's father stood beside her, wearing a proud and contented expression.

Amidst the joyous reunion, the time came for Zane to take the stage and deliver his speech. As he stood before the crowd, his confident presence commanded attention. Every eye in the room turned toward him, eagerly awaiting his words.

With a charismatic charm, Zane captivated the audience, sharing his gratitude for the support and opportunities that had led him to this moment. And then, as his speech reached its climax, he uttered the words that made my heart flutter.

"...and this all wouldn't be possible without my beautiful girlfriend by my side, the one and only Amari Vasilios." A blush bloomed across my cheeks, spreading a rosy hue as I felt the weight of his words sink in. Low murmurs and whispered adorations rippled through the crowd, casting a spotlight on me.

I glanced around, feeling a mix of excitement and shyness as I sensed the collective gaze of the guests upon me. Their whispers and awe-filled chatter seemed to create a symphony of admiration, intertwining with the melodies floating through the air.

As Zane gracefully stepped off the stage, the room seemed to shift. My attention shifted from the delighted crowd to my father and Milan, approaching Zane with determined expressions etched upon their faces. A hint of tension filled the air, and my heart skipped a beat, uncertain of what was unfolding before me.

Intrigued, I watched as my dad engaged in an animated conversation with Zane, his gestures and tone suggesting a heated exchange. Milan stood nearby, his face a mask of concern and determination. It was evident that something significant was transpiring between them.

My father beckoned Zane to follow him, a silent command that left me on edge. My mind raced with questions, wondering what had prompted this sudden confrontation.

As they disappeared into the depths of the ballroom, I found myself standing in a momentary stillness.

Taking a deep breath, I made a resolute decision to follow my dad and Milan too, my curiosity overriding any hesitation or fear. Leaving the vibrant ballroom behind, I stepped into the dimly lit hallway, where faded photographs adorned the walls, capturing moments from our younger years. A nostalgic smile tugged at my lips as I glanced at a picture of me and Angelica, clad in our princess dresses, embracing the innocence of childhood.

As I neared the office room, the voices grew louder, permeating through the slightly ajar door. My heart raced with trepidation, unsure of what awaited me on the other side. But my desire for answers propelled me forward, inching closer to the heart of the conversation.

The first voice I recognized was my dad's, his tone filled with anger and frustration. "This cannot be happening, we had a deal!" His words reverberated through the hallway, laced with a sense of betrayal and disappointment.

Zane's voice, impassioned and determined, interjected, dispelling any illusion of submission. "That deal is over! You cannot interfere in my life anymore, I'm an adult!" His words held a hint of defiance, a declaration of independence that clashed with my dad's expectations.