4.

I unlocked the door to my apartment and tossed my keys into the bowl on the table next to the entrance. Flicking on the lights, I quickly shed my clothes. It had become a habit after living alone for so long. Returning to the tranquility of my empty and quiet apartment was a blissful feeling after being surrounded by people all day.

The peaceful silence that greeted me upon entering my apartment was soon shattered by the blaring of my phone. Letting out an internal groan, I reached into my bag and rummaged through its contents. In the process, my hand accidentally brushed against something sticky, and when I pulled it out, I discovered a piece of chewed gum I had forgotten to throw away. I looked at it in disgust and immediately wiped my hand on a tissue.

Finally locating my phone, I swiped across the screen and tapped on the speaker button. The caller ID revealed that it was my dear mother calling.

Mom - Amari

Amari?! Finally, after twenty-five missed calls. Vasilios, your daughter finally picked up her phone! Where have you been?!!

Sorry, mom. I was quite busy at that time.

Nonsense. You don't even have time for your own family. Did you get the invitation?

As I already said, I'm sorry. I uhm... got the invitation.

You did? Are you excited? Your brother is getting married! I cannot wait until it's your turn!

I am excited!

You don't sound like it.

Yayyy. I am sooo excited!

Oh goodness, that was so bad. What's the matter, Amari? You think I haven't notice that you never stay longer than one week in New York. Is that the problem?

Yes, mom. That's exactly the problem.

Sucks to be you then, because you will have to stay for one month. It's an order from me and your dad!

One month! But Angelica told me two weeks!

That was before. But now it's one month. I want my family together. Plus there's going to be a lot of potential candidates for you here. You need time to get to know them!

Mom, I have a company to run in California. And I'm not thinking of marrying anybody anytime soon. You will have to wait for another twenty years.

Twenty years?! Goodness gracious, I will be cold in my grave by then! And Running a company? That's not an excuse. Your dad runs a company too and it's not hard to get a month off. You will be coming!

Mom!

It's not up for discussion, Amari. Your father is very proud, but also very disappointed in you.

Why? What did I even do?

You're very successful and he couldn't be any more proud, but you haven't spend a lot of time with us. Which he is very disappointed about.

Can I talk to him?

He's burning...I mean cooking in the kitchen. Call later if you want.

About the wedding. I still do not want to stay for an entire month in New York.

Can you at least tell me why?