chapter three

┏︎︎━︎━━︎━︎━︎✩︎✮︎✩︎━︎━︎━︎━︎━︎┓︎︎

ALWAYS & FOREVER

CHAPTER THREEanti-romantic

CHAPTER THREE
anti-romantic

┗︎━︎━︎━︎━︎━✩︎✮︎✩︎━︎━︎━︎━︎━︎┛︎

LOVE WAS THE HARDEST TOPIC for Carina to even speak of. She knew she cared for her family with all her heart but love is just a word to her. She had seen it between her parents. Both had been arranged by their elders and were just content with just siring the next Black heir. Her parents claimed to be in love but didn't share rooms unless they needed to. Her brothers and she were the product of their obligations not their love for one another.

When people spoke about love, Carina didn't understand it. How was love supposed to be the greatest thing a person could have? Their parents claimed to love them but only forced their ideals and expectations onto them. Sirius got the beatings in the name of love and hope that he would see the right path. While Regulus and she got the mental torture knowing that if they stepped out of line, they could end up like Sirius. All this was because they loved and wanted the best for them.

The only time Carina ever stepped out of line was for Sirius; to protect him and his Gryffindor house sorting. Since then, she knew of the consequences of stepping out of line. She wasn't only her but they also suffered.

James Potter had been raised in an entirely different household. His parents loved each other deeply and James was a product of that. He had grown up in a loving home with two parents who made sure he was safe and loved.

They were like oil and water.

She couldn't understand how James Potter even had a crush on her. She was a Slytherin and Sirius' younger sister.  If James knew what Sirius' life was at their home, how could he still like her?

By age ten, she knew what the crutiucas curse felt like. Their parents grew harsher as they grew up. The first year that Sirius attended Hogwarts sporting a red tie instead of green, the pressure to be their golden children fell on her and Regulus respectfully. Both of them sporting green ties that made their parents proud their first year. Associating with the right kinds of people during their second. Regulus was now the unofficial heir and she was the now potential spare.

Sirius acting out against their parents made it worse. Their parents had almost given up on Sirius as an heir. Regulus was now being pressured into committing to certain plans she did not know of. Her parents finally named potential partners for herself once she was older. Now that Regulus and she were in their fourth year, they faced all these new expectations from their mother.

If James knew how broken his best friend was, why didn't he realize that Carina was beyond that?

How could he love someone like her?

Carina knew behind the bright smile and those gleaming hazel eyes, James Potter fought for those he loved. Just like she did even if Sirius didn't see it like that. But they were too different. He would choose his loved ones over his safety. While she chose to protect herself and her loved ones over anyone else. Like she had chosen Regulus over Sirius. After all, Regulus was the one that needed her the most. Sirius never needed them after his first year at Hogwarts.

Carina was selfish, she wouldn't deny it. James, on the other hand, was too selfless. They weren't a good match.

Carina noticed how James looked at her since she attended Hogwarts. She had known about his developing feelings towards her and how he tried to keep them hidden most of the time. Carina could lie and say she wasn't attracted to James but he had made her swoon when she first met him at the bookstore.

However, she did her very best to kill any feelings for James. Her parents had been discussing her potential betrothal since summer. She was on the path of becoming betrothed to someone her parents deemed suitable.

James Potter was the opposite of that.

Looking outside the compartment door, Carina watched as James passed by with the rest of the Marauders. Their eyes meant for a second but that's all that it took. His stupid hazel eyes made her heart flutter as it did back at the bookstore.

Regulus could only watch as his twin looked helplessly in the direction that the marauders had gone, "You know our parents would kill you if they found out about James."

Merlin, why did Regulus always have to remind her about what could happen? She had wished for nothing more than to be born into a light family.

"I know. That's why you swore to never tell our parents about my love life. As I did about yours."

The twins looked at each other; they knew both of their secrets would get them killed.

As the train arrived at Hogwarts, the twins stood out over the rest. There was no denying that the Black family was very attractive. Sirius Black was a notorious Gryffindor resident bad boy while the twins were called  Slytherin's "Ice Prince & Princess". The siblings were so different yet everyone could agree that they were bloody attractive.

That's how Carina had managed to date the fifth-year Ravenclaw perfect during her third year.  Both siblings were perfects and top students in their year as they beat everyone.

If Year Five had the marauders, then Year Four had the Black twins. Carina Black, the middle child, could only be described as fatally attractive. Like it was fatal if you ended up with her. After the marauders landed her ex-boyfriend and his group of friends in the infirmary, everyone knew that Carina Black was best looked at from afar. The youngest Regulus Black, on the other hand, was seen by many to be a potential suitor. Ever since Sirius was disowned, he was the unofficial heir to the Noble House of Black. 

The siblings ran with different crowds.

That's why despite James Potter having a crush on Carina, there were never really any interactions between them.

James watched as Regulus helped Carina up into the carriage. The twins were joined by Barty Crouch Jr. and Evan Rosier; their closest friends. James disliked how close Rosier was with Carina. After hearing that the Black family was discussing potential marriage spouses for Carina, he knew that she was going to most likely be married to Evan Rosier. After all,  he was a pureblood Slytherin with what the Blacks deemed to be the right kind of family.

"C'mon mate. The carriages are leaving," Remus grabbed James's shoulder.

Remus understood what James was thinking. When they found out that he was a werewolf, Remus found out about James fancying Carina Black, his mate's baby sister. James had begged him to keep it a secret from Sirius, so Remus did his best to make sure Sirius never found out.

Carina Black was a mystery to him until last year. Remus got to know her during one of their rounds as Perfects. Remus knew that Carina was quite a private person. She didn't expand her circle outside of her twins, Crouch and Rosier. James fancying her was almost like a lost cause. Remus knew she wouldn't do anything to defy her family.

There could only be one Black sheep.

NOTE:

After a crazy Thanksgiving and finally feeling better, I'm back!

I want to clarify some things. Carina has feelings for James but knows she can't because of her family. James doesn't know this at all; she's that good at hiding her feelings. Regulus is the only person who knows since they're twins.

Next chapter, we will start to get more classic lovesick James Potter. Poor Sirius doesn't know that his best mate and baby sister fancy each other.