14: time

Over the next month, things only got worse for Reki.

But he handled it with excellent spirits. He had a plan. After every beating. After every session of sexual assault. He knew by the end of the month it would be over.

Finally the day came. He had been sleeping on the floor for a week after he sold his bedframe. He would take the last trash bag of clothes to donate out today. And then it would all be over.

At long last he would finally be at rest.

He stood in his empty room and stood in the center. He stared up at his ceiling and smiled.

He hadn't spoken to Langa all week. He hadn't spoken to Miya in two. Joe and Cherry in three.

Shadow he spoke to yesterday. Someone who had been relentlessly checking on him. He had such unredeemable grades in all his classes.

He didn't care. It didn't matter. He wouldn't have to deal with it after today.

He had the bottles of pills on his bathroom counter. He knew it wasn't the most convenient way of going down, but it was by far the most accessible thing to him.

So there the bottle sat. Ready. Waiting in anticipation.

He grabbed his last bag of clothes and slung it over his shoulder. He walked out the back door to the garage. He spotted the board he'd made for Langa.

Snowboard like. For a wide stance.

For the former snowboarder. Something to bring him comfort, make him feel close to home after he was gone.

He went to goodwill first. Then he rolled up to Langa's front porch.

He knocked on the front door. Langa's mom came to the door.

"Reki! How have you been? I haven't heard from you in a while." Langa's mom said with a soft smile.

"I've been alright." He said nervously, not meeting her eyes. He couldn't lie to her face.

"Are you sure?" Langa's mom pushed.

"Yes." Reki said, looking up at her confidently. He was finally getting out of this. He was doing just fine.

He shifted the extra skateboard from under his arm to in front of him, "is Langa here?" He asked.

"Yes, but he's taking a nap right now. He had a headache." Langa's mom said, "do you want me to wake him up?" She asked.

"No no definitely not, let him rest. Here, just give him this." Reki said, pushing the board out in front of him, "tell him I'm sorry for not taking to him so much lately. There's been some rumors and I just didn't want to accelerate them. I hope he's doing okay." Reki said. It was true. He'd heard the rumors. He'd shut them down, saying, "Langa? He hates me." Everyone believed it. Everyone hated Reki.

He was gonna miss Langa and his mom the most out of the people he'd felt ever cared about him.

Langa's mom took the board, "I will. Are you sure everything's okay? You look really tired." There was a look of deep concern on her face.

"Yeah I'm okay, just haven't been sleeping very well." Reki said with a smile, "I'm okay. I promise." He lied.

Lately everything was a lie.

He went home and sat in the center of his empty room, checking the time every once in a while. He felt his phone buzz a couple of times, but ignored it.

He took a deep breath and pushed his frail body up. He'd gotten so skinny over the past few months. He hadn't gone out in weeks. He hadn't eaten in at least 2 days.