20: Reki's sisters

That night Reki went home with a renewed thrill for life. He was finally beginning to get back into the swing of things.

That was until he skated home and spotted a police car in front of the house.

His heart skipped a beat with nerves. He skated down the sidewalk and ran up the front porch to go in with his house key.

He immediately spotted Cindy and Bill sitting at the kitchen table with two police officer looking dudes. Georgia was peeking around the corner. A feeling of dread began to sink into his stomach, evoking some mild level of nervous nausea.

"Cindy? Bill? What's going on?" He asked nervously as he took his shoes off by the front door.

"Reki.." Cindy started. She didn't look happy, but more concerned, "come sit."

"What's wrong?" He asked, taking a seat among them at the kitchen table.

"Mr. Kyan, when was the last time you saw your sisters?" The police questioned.

"Uhm..." He had to think about it. Past everything that had happened since he woke up and they weren't there.

"3.. maybe 4 months? What's wrong with them?" Reki asked.

"You didn't find it strange that one day they weren't there?" One officer asked accusingly.

Reki was teary eyed, "My parents used to send them to my grandparents or sometimes aunt's place when fights between them got bad. I assumed they did the same thing when they found out I was gay. Are they okay?"

"Your sisters are missing." The other officer said carefully.

Reki's whole world stopped spinning, "what?" He asked weakly, "have you called my relatives? They're safe! I've been- they have to be safe. They are somewhere safe. They have to be." He faltered, beginning to fall apart.

"Reki, the court didn't know you had sisters when the charges we're put against your parents. They've hidden any records of them even existing from us. We've called your relatives, they aren't with any of them." The officer explained.

Reki felt hot tears beginning to slip down his cheeks. Everything had been so good lately and he was losing it all.

He'd been holding onto the hope that now that he was safe, he'd be allowed to see his sisters again. He had a feeling he might never see them ever again.

He felt Cindy pull him into a hug, but couldn't muster a reaction. He was lost in shock.

"Mr. Kyan, we need to take you down to the police station for questioning." The officer explained.

"What?" He faltered, "you think it's me? Where would I even hide them they're- they're the only family I have left who has a chance at actually loving me." He sobbed, his eyes wide and scared.

"Mr. Kyan, we just need to ask you some questions. Ms. Cindy or Mr. Bill can come with you."

Reki felt Cindy's small hand on his shoulder, he couldn't find the words as he and his foster mom got into the back of the cop car. Reki cried into her shoulder all the way there.

He cried through all the questions he was asked. He cried all the way back home.

Then sat down again with Cindy and Bill in the living room, simply trying to calm down.

"Were you close with your sisters?" Bill asked.

"Yeah." Reki hiccuped, taking a drink out of a cool glass of water afterwards, "I just- it wasn't abnormal this whole time I was missing them but I thought they were safe and they- they weren't." He cried.