Chapter 2

"If we put any more sparkle in this room, we are going to trigger a seizure in someone," Harper mutters as another girl waltzes into the Winter formal decked head-to-toe in rhinestones. If they weren't wearing rhinestones, then the dresses were dusted in glitter or covered in sequence.

The couples must have spent a while designing their outfits because the boys were just as shiny as their dates: glitter drenched vests, sequin-covered ties. One boy even plastered rhinestones over his shoes.

Not that the teachers didn't take part in turning the room into one giant disco ball. Since the Winter formal was such an important event for the school, in other words- one of their main money makers, the decoration committee got a substitute sent in to watch their classes today while they focused on turning the gym into a "Winter Wonderland".

Bolts of silk with glittery tull flowed down from the ceiling while curtains of fairy lights covered the walls. Shimmery snowflakes dangled from the rafters, and large piles of polyfill and cotton dusted with sparkles littered the floor. On the tables stood white ceramic planters filled with poinsettias. The room glowed with the warmth of the lights and the decorations; it was easy to imagine it as a true winter paradise.

For something that took weeks to prepare, the night passed in a whirl. The DJ seamlessly transitioned from one song to the next as small pods of students bounced around on the dance floor. Other children barreled across the room from one station to the next, eager to take pictures with literally anything. One child took a picture holding a paper plate because he wanted to reenact a meme or something. And every once and awhile a loud shriek followed by giggles echoed through the gym as teenagers awkwardly flirted with one another.

Overall the formal appears to be a giant success and will be all that the students talk about for the week before Winter Break. The committee wandered around and watched with pride the work they were able to accomplish in a three week period.

But, as she watched a group of girls slip off their heels so they could take part in a game of tag, Harper feels a sense of unease wash over her. All day there's been a gnawing sense of "something's not right" that was setting her on edge. She couldn't pinpoint exactly what was triggering it, but every glance out the door caused the hair on the back of neck and arms to stand up straight. Her body knows something is out there even though the darkness looked innocent enough every time the door flew open to admit a new party-goer. But Harper could feel that something was lurking in the darkness beyond the reach of the parking lot lights. The question is whether it is waiting for her or someone else.

Lily would be thrilled to know that Harper finally took some of her advice and sent a text to Aeron that revealed her suspicions of something lurking around the grounds of the school but of course his majesty couldn't even be bothered to pull out his phone and put her on "read". Actually, reading the message and then not responding would probably piss her off more because then she'd have no choice but to take it as him thinking that her safety is not important to him anymore. But not opening the text could mean a lot of things: he's too busy, he's hurt, he's ignoring her; he knows she'll hang around regardless of his actions... okay, actually none of these scenarios are great. Why doesn't he just pick up?!

"Ms. Bishop?"

Her heart jumps a little at the sudden interruption. Standing in front of her is one of her students. Draped in forest green satin with a matching lace overlay that had beads stitched to the part covering the skirt, the girl looked like she belonged at a ball instead of a middle school dance. But while she has the appearance of a princess, the look on the girl's face could only be described as troubled.

"Oh, hi Amy! Anything I can help you with"

Although they aren't supposed to have favorites, Amy definitely qualifies as one of Harper's. While she is quiet and usually keeps to herself, the girl occasionally shows off her mischievous side through sly remarks and drawings that serve as her version of political cartoons with the focus being on school related issues. The one about how athletes were given lesser punishments than the rest of the student population still hung in the teacher's lounge.