Chapter 5

"I could have driven myself, you know."

Although she agreed to let Misha drive her home, she couldn't resist pouting from the passenger seat of her own car. No one has ever driven her car besides her, and seeing her ex changing the mirror and seat position sent a wave of irrational anger through her. "It's going to take me weeks to figure out how to put the mirrors back in their correct spot."

"Yeah, I hate it when people mess with my mirrors too," Misha says, his voice muffled as he looks over his shoulder to check for cars before backing out into the street. "But since my goal is to get you home safely and not kill us both in a car crash, I need to be able to see cars and not your back seat.:

"Are you calling me short?"

"Har, I am 6'7". Most people are short compared to me."

"Just make sure you put it back as closely as you can," she snaps, then turns her attention back to her phone as regret she is feeling wars with her pride and stubbornness.

Misha isn't the one who she is frustrated with but unfortunately the guilty party isn't in the car right now, so now innocent bystanders are all at risk of becoming collateral damage.

Twelve hours ago Harper messaged Aeron about the feeling of being watched, and within that time he couldn't even read the damn thing? How hard is it to check your phone? It is not like he had a secretary she could call and leave a message with. Well, he had a secretary but part of being the "secret human girlfriend" is that you can't call Hell's main offices. So how is she supposed to contact him if there was an emergency? Like if Dave got out and started going on a feeding frenzy in the neighborhood? Or if her stalker or some other weirdo decides to attack her in the parking lot of the school?

As much as she hates to admit it, the attack really scared her. For a moment Harper was sure she was about to die, and, if Misha hadn't found her first, it is likely that no one would have ever known what had happened to her. And even though she is being a bitch to Misha right now, Harper is thankful that he insisted on driving her home because now she isn't sure that she'd be able to make it back on her own.

In her mind, every shadow hides a monster ready to bounce and drag her away. Every unexpected noise is an alarm telling her to run and hide before she is taken. Her breath quickens as headlights flood her car and doesn't slow down until the car passes or turns. Right now everything looks like a threat, and all she wants to do is crawl in Aeron's arms and know that she is protected from those threats.

But Aeron isn't here, and, because Harper refused to tell him about the letters, he isn't even aware of the danger that she is in. Isn't aware that last night could have been the last time they saw each other.

"God, I'm such an idiot," she moans, burying her face in her palms. "I should have told Aeron about the threats when I first got one."

"Yes, you should have."

The clipped tone tells her that Misha wants to lecture her more about the stupidity of her actions; it was the same tone he used when she decided that jumping out of a secondary window was preferable to going to the dorm get-to-know-you party and ended up asking him for a ride to the E.R to deal with a broken arm. She knew he wanted to rant and rave about how dumb she was but he didn't. Misha never scolded, never ranted, never humiliated her. Instead he just showed up when she needed him, said his piece, and offered whatever support he could.

Tonight is no different. No, Misha is no different.

Harper's throat tightens as her eyes fill with unshed tears. Raising her left hand, she tentatively places it on his right shoulder and gives it a tight squeeze, trying to pass on all of her feelings of relief, regret, and gratitude in a single touch.