Chapter 6

Katherine had taken the roses to her mother, who was still sleeping. She took a minute to watch her before she forced herself to place the flowers where she would see them when she woke up and left the room.

It was much later, after lunch, when she finally got around to arranging the rest of the flowers. She was in the dining room working on the centerpiece when her father joined her, and his face looked like thunder.

"I told you to ensure the girls looked nice for our guests! They showed up to lunch in their swimsuits and wraps." his voice was low but fierce.

Katherine was surprised they had bothered with the wraps. "I told them your wishes when I woke them this afternoon, Dad. I don't know what more I could have done," she insisted, keeping her eyes on the flowers.

"It's your job to keep them in line!" he growled.

"No, that's your job. You're their father, not me. Plus, I've been a little busy this morning." Katherine held up a flower. "Why don't you have them help around here? It might be good for them. You were unhappy with the way I handled the menus. Perhaps one of them could take over that."  Katherine doubted they would know how to do such a minor thing. They would probably all be eating salads for every meal.

"When I want your advice on how to run my house, I'll ask for it!" George was turning red at Katherine's unusual directness, so she didn't feel it was the right time to remind him that it was her mother's house, not his. It had been something Dora had brought into the marriage, along with a tidy inheritance.

"All right, Dad," she agreed, not knowing what else she could say to calm him down.

"Stop calling me Dad. I want you to call me George from now on!"

The silence between them was heavy as Katherine laid down her flower and clutched the table in front of her for support. Why would her father suddenly want her to call him George and not Dad? Was he that ashamed of her?

"Why?" Katherine's voice was soft but steady.

"Why doesn't matter? Just do as I ask!" Then he turned and stalked out of the room, leaving a pale Katherine behind him.

Katherine walked on unsteady legs through the dining room to the parlor, her mind a jumbled mess. She was proud of her moment of backbone, but she had never dreamed it would cause her father to demand she stop calling him Dad. She looked out the window with a view of the massive lawn in front of the house. If it was a lovely evening, the windows opened and created an opening to the lawn. It was a great advantage for parties, but Katherine didn't see the view.

As usual, when something unpleasant arose, she started to think about everything but the thing that was troubling her most. Now she thought about what would happen when her mother was gone. Would her father sell the house? She would miss the house if he did.

"Maybe you're wrong?" Alistair's voice spoke behind her, where he was sitting in a chair near the large fireplace.

It startled her, and she spun around to face him. How had she forgotten he was around? It had never happened before. Was she finally losing her mind?

"Excuse me?" Katherine looked at him, hoping he hadn't just heard the conversation between her and her father, knowing he had.

"If he doesn't want you to call him Dad, maybe he will let you go when the time comes." Alistair stood, walking toward her. "Although, I do admit it is an odd request." He frowned in thought.

She hadn't even begun to process her father's comments, much less think of what they meant long-term., but it was obviously something that Alistair was willing to do for her.