011.

T W O    D A Y S    L A T E R

T W O D A Y S L A T E R . . .

When Jordan said he was on the hunt to find a mother figure for Kota and Kai, Zayley didn't take it as a literal statement.

But here she was, taking on the motherly role as she spent her Friday afternoon sprawled out in the middle of her bed with the three cats surrounding her.

Jordan and the team were gone for an away game and asked Zayley if she could babysit since his cats adored her when they first got acquainted. Of course she couldn't say no since she loved them just as much.

"Never in a million years did I imagine being this type of cat person." She spoke to no one in particular as she stared down at her fur babies on her lap and upper chest.

"I think this is a sign to make more friends."

The cats glared at her while tilting their heads in the process.

"I should make more friends shouldn't I? Stop being so antisocial and get out more, huh?" She raised an eyebrow as she stroked the animal's fur.

As if they could understand, Milo, Kota, and Kai gave her a blank stare.

"You're so right. That requires talking to people, and I don't like that." She shook her head at the thought. "Why get more friends when I have you guys?"

The cats purred at the response as they snuggled closer to Zayley.

"Glad we had that chat." She smiled as she continued watching reruns of The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.

Episode after episode, her eyes got heavier and heavier until she finally decided not to fight off sleep anymore. Just as she was about to fall into a deep slumber, a knock on her front door made her body jerk up.

Groaning, she walked out of her bedroom and looked through the peek hole of the door.

"What the hell?" She frowned, opening the door. A delivery man stood outside, holding a massive bouquet of flowers.

"Delivery for Zayley Palmer?"

"That's me." She smiled lazily as the man handed her a pen and paper.

"Sign here for me please."

Once she did, they exchanged the items before briefly saying goodbyes.

"My god, this is heavy. Who on earth sent me these?" She closed the door with her foot and sat them on her kitchen counter.

After a minute of searching thru the arrangement, Zayley found a card attached to them.

Dear Z,

I want to apologize for being distant these past couple of days. I know this isn't much, but I hope these flowers put a smile on your face. Love you, and call me whenever you get this.

From, Quentin

"You gotta be kidding me." She yawned, rubbing the crust out of her eyes.

She looked over the card again to ensure she was reading the letter correctly. Surely she was.

"It's the audacity of this mix breed for me." She scoffed, grabbing her phone off the counter and going to her contact list.

While the phone rang, her polka-dot socks paced the tiles of the porcelain floors while glancing at the yellow sunflowers.

"Can't even remember my favorite flowers for christ's sake." She mumbled, shaking her head in disbelief.

"Wassup, baby. I'm guessing you got the flowers." Quentin spoke happily on the other end of the line.

"Yeah, I did," Zayley replied blandly.

"That's good. And again, I'm-"

"Let me guess. Your sorry, and whenever we see each other you promise to make it up to me?"  She asked, quoting his favorite go-to line.

Once he didn't respond, she rolled her eyes. "Of course, it's always the same shit with you."

"Z-"

"No, save it. Because you, these flowers, and that wack-ass apology can kiss my ass!" She exclaimed as her voice got louder.

"Zayley, I didn't send that gift so that you could yell and give me an attitude." Quentin sighed.

"I wouldn't give you one if you didn't act like a sorry excuse of a boyfriend." She deadpanned.

"I said I was sorry."

"You always are. And I don't forgive you."  She responded, knowing the sentence would catch her boyfriend off guard.

"You don't?" His question, as his voice was laced with confusion.

"Nope, and quite frankly, I've reached my limit in forgiving you." She expressed as a matter of factly.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"It means I'm tired of looking like a fool for sticking beside you. And I'm tired of this back-and-forth game we play. It's not effective whatsoever."

"Hold up. You trying to break up with me?"

"I'm not trying Quentin. I am breaking up with you." She informed.

Zayley could imagine the bewildered expression on his face as the line went quiet.

"I need simplicity in my life, and I don't get that feeling from this relationship anymore." She shrugged.

"Look. I know you're mad at me, but calm down and take a breather before you start making irrational decisions." He advised.

"This is far from being irrational. We knew this was bound to happen sooner or later. I guess today I finally had the guts to say it."

"So that's it. You're not gonna try to save this relationship?"

Zayley let out a dry laugh at his question, "You must have forgotten I was willing to move my entire life to live in New York with you. That's how much I wanted us to work."

"Thank god I didn't do that." She thought to herself.

"I was all in with trying to fix our relationship. It was you that wasn't putting in the effort."

"C'mon Zayley. You know it doesn't gotta be like this." He stated.

"Unfortunately, it does." She yawned again, running her hand through her hair. "Take care of yourself Quentin, and I wish you the best."

Before he could get another word in, she ended the call, shoving her phone into her pocket.

"Welp, I guess that's over." Zayley sighed, glancing at the sunflowers before proceeding back into her bedroom.

And just like that, in a five-minute phone call, a relationship that once served two young adults shattered, leaving one heartsick and the other at peace for the first time in a while.

_______________________

A word from Naiay

Zayley is officially F.N.F!

But is Quentin officially out of her life for good? I guess we'll have to wait and see 🤭

Luv you guys, 🫶🏽