17

"It's nice to have you back, Elijah."

Jenna sat in the library of the Salvatore Boarding House with teary eyes and Everly settled beside her

Jenna sat in the library of the Salvatore Boarding House with teary eyes and Everly settled beside her. The former didn't dare to ask and the latter didn't know how to start, and silence descended over them.

"What is Stefan? Who is Klaus and why do you call Alaric Klaus?" After a long moment of tensed silence, Jenna blurted out.

"Stefan is a vampire and Klaus is an original hybrid, the first of vampire and werewolf combination," Everly truthfully answered.

Her eyes widened in disbelief and muttered, "So those bedtime stories were real?"

"Oh, Jenna, thank God," Elena rushed into the room, interrupted their conversation.

"No," Jenna snapped her eyes at her niece, betrayal laced clearly in her tone.

"I'm so sorry. I never meant for any of this to happen."

"When I was little, your mom used to tell me bedtime stories. Stories about vampires. I never thought that what she said could be true."

Feeling out of place, Everly slowly stood up and quietly left the room for the Gilbert family. She sauntered into the living room, catching the attention of two Salvatore brothers in which the younger one immediately stood up.

"How's Jenna? Is she okay?"

She glanced at him and shrugged, "I told her about vampires and werewolves, and Klaus too. But Elena will probably explain more," Everly warily looked at the fireplace in the room before curling up on the couch furtherest away from the flame.

Noticing her movement, Damon took a glimpse at her and Stefan asked with a worry frown, "Hey, Everly. Are you okay?"

Everly met his eyes and said softly, "I am getting better."

".......Yeah right, blondie. No one's going to believe that," Damon commented, leaving the living room, and somehow returned with a bucket of water and put out the fire, making Everly to snapped her head at him in shock.

She opened and closed her mouth like a goldfish, wanting to say thank you but didn't know if the older Salvatore did it for her or just a coincidence.

"No thank you?" He raised an eyebrow at the girl.

"Huh? Oh uh, I thought........Thank you," Everly said with sincerity and a small smile appeared on her lips as Damon returned to his alcohol with a hum. She was grateful for what he did for she didn't think she would be able to sit through the time without going restless or dashing out of the room.

She was, however, bewildered by how considerate the older Salvatore was showing her. After all, they barely talked to each other and most of them were one-way exchange, in which she compliantly listened and Damon eloquently spoke about the plans they were having. Everly had never thought he would do anything like this for anyone beside Elena and Stefan. Perhaps she was wrong.