Chapter 13: Dearest Old Friend

Then only for a minute I want to change my mind 'cause this just don't feel right.

It's an exact copy of a round table where he would have his meetings when the sun sets down and all the souls go to sleep.

Not everyone is asleep of course, but those that stayed awake couldn't be associated with having a soul.

Yet every copy cannot be perfect, a fake will always be imperfect. The slash, what would be a scar if it came across the skin, from the side where my finger rubbed over it now, was missing. It happened the second time I was allowed in that room, when they exposed a rat, sent all the way from Scotland to traffic their resources and the chaos enrolled.

I haven't seen much, only bodies and bodies with weapons jumping on him with blood splattering all around when Landon pulled me out of the room.

Joseph, was his name, yet on his gravestone they only curved in Brutus.

In Snowcombe, even more north at the mere border of towns there is a graveyard hidden behind trees, so quiet at night that not even they have the guts to come close. Yet as soon as you step into it, you can see the difference between a thick red gravestone with the name of the world's most famous traitor.

It's needless to say how serious their little cult saw betralys.

I'm wondering if that phone call warned me that Landon knew it was only ten minutes later than night, would I be one of them, with the whole act with Caesar's right before his death.

I would imagine the words 'E tu, Brute' written there with my own blood, but that is for betrayal from a friend.

I was far from a friend.

I'm sure he would think of something.

"Considering your prying eyes," Landon speaks and drops the pile of files belonging to agents. "There is no need to keep this hidden any longer, so pick."

"Pick what?" I ask and he smiles with the devil on his shoulder.

"The file." he says, tossing the around slightly and sitting back.

He is comfortably seated, one ankle over his knee while he keeps a previously lit cigarette between his fingers while he motions for me to move with a quick nod.

Sighing, letting all the frustration I can drop off my body when I stand up, walk around the table. We are almost at different sides of it, which contradicts the past where we used to sit next to each other. Even now I can remember the sour expression on Meredith's face when Landon demanded for her to leave the seat for good.

Now Caitlin and I are sitting on the side that overlooks the windows that would overlook the rest of the city if the clouds didn't prevent it. There is one seat empty between us, still there for the grudge that stands between us but close enough for safety.

Lilah and Landon are more relaxed, a couple of seats not occupied in the middle while I stop two feet away from him, looking down at the files.

"Today would be pleasant." he adds after I stand there and stare at them for a good minute.

He knows why I don't want to settle my pointed finger at any of them, but he will bite down and patiently wait just to see me suffer.

"You were already given nine life sentences, this will just serve you another one or sent you right for death penalty."

"Only if I get caught."

"You were already caught." I meet his eyes.

They are flaming blue fire. "And now I made sure that will not happen again. Now pick or I shall pick between Lilah and Meredith to babysit your child."