Chapter 22: Strings attached

Don't blame me, love made me crazy.

"Who are we going to see?" Leah asks, her little fingers attached to my sleeve as I stop in my tracks in front of a large gate. If a stranger saw it, some sort of cursed academy would be the first thing that comes into their mind when seeing the dark iron gates, along with the hedge surrounding the old fashionable villa.

"Visit a family member." I tell her, smiling down as I open the gates and push them to reveal a fancy brick path.

He always loved historical culture for some reason.

Leah's hand is secured in mine as we follow the aay, over the fewer stairs that I remember before pausing in front of the red wooden door, brightly standing out from the white facade of the house.

I knock two times before a rustling is heard and the handle is being pulled back, revealing a tall brunette with disheveled hair and tired eyes on the other side.

Despite looking as if he has been thrown down the stairs, his eyes widen in surprise and shock, before a grin spreads across his face and he pulls me in a bear hug.

I laugh, thinking about complaining about the lack of breath, but still hug him back as I mumble. "Good to see you too, brother."

This time he laughs, pulling back just to look at me. Smile spread when he opens his mouth to greet me. "What are you doing here, Cate?"

I raise my eyebrow. "Need a reason to visit my oldest brother?"

I know that the Bureau already informed them all that we are fine and we spoke on the phone hours ago, but I know he didn't expect this.

He chuckles, ruffling my hair and as I try to fight him off his eyes settle on Leah. His eyes are wide as he crouches down, grinning at her when she runs into his open arms.

Living at almost the other side of the world makes it difficult for them to see each other in person that commonly, but modern technology doesn't keep them apart. It's not even a rare occurrence for Leah to steal mine or Winter's phone to dial his number.

I can't even belive she knows how to do that.

"Hey, Lee." he drags out his special nickname for her, pulling her in his arms as he spins them around. A smile drops on my lips from her giggles that are heard through the air while keeping her arms around Micheal's neck.

"You will kill us, uncle Mike." she laughs, playfully hitting his chest.

"Oh, don't worry, aunty Cate will save us." his thrilled eyes glance to me, tilting it towards the house. "Come on inside, it's freezing here."

The house is pretty much all I remember. Fancy tables and chairs occupying most of the house, carpets and drapes definitely dragged out from some movie about British royalty a hundred years ago. Golden and light blue theme of the furniture and walls is calming, as much as it is the hotness of the tea on my lips.

I swallow down, grimacing at the slight burn at my tongue as Leah lies sideways in his lap, holding tightly on the tablet and snickering as the gossip about some random theme.

The house is almost the same. Almost.

Leah's happy demeanor reminds me to ask a question lingering in the air.

"Where are Jennifer and the kids?"

As quickly as he looks up he looks back down, averting his gaze from everyone when he stumbles over the words. "Oh well, they left- I mean not left like leave leave, just-" he pauses, taking a deep breath and placing a smile at his features. "They are at her mother's."