Chapter 14: Meant To Be Broken

Some things, they're solid, they're built to last. Some things, they fall apart, they break like glass.

There is a hint of confusion regarding Meredith in Catlin's eyes, but other than that fear painted with betrayal is suffocating her chest and the pain is only seen on the surface.

I have a mostly emotionless expression while it lingers on them, swinging Leah slightly in the idea of calming her down as I stare there.

Nobody is answering Meredith's question as I simply turn away from them, walking at the other end of the room as I look out of the window.

New York was never the type of city I would see myself living in, too loud even in the late hours, too alive for this darkness. Cars are hypnotizing down between these blinding lights. I keep my arms around Leah.

"Ta dig samman." I say, speaking explicibally to my sister. "Vill du att de ska döda oss?"

When I turn back to look at her, she is nodding while the others are now in sync with furrowed brows and questions with no space for answers.

"What was that?"

Swedish.

Me, Caitlin and Michael have learned it as kids in hope to communicate with each other without our parents knowing when we wanted to sneak out, lie to get away with stupid teenage shit or just play smart in front of others around us.

The one and only time it didn't work out of ru us was on a summer camp where we listed all the hilariously weird clothing the directed wore, until he wickedly smiled at us and started reading out our conduct codex and punished us for not being able to leave the cabins after eight for two whole weeks.

"Do you wish for something?" I ask them.

"Yes." Lilah speaks right away. "Wish to know what the hell was that?"

The tone of her voice tells me she isn't speaking of our language, but the smirk on my face is menacing. "Never heard people talking in another language?"

She tilts her head to the side in silent rage. "That's not-"

"How lovely." Meredith interrupts her. "I don't remember seeing your ability to speak another language anywhere in files about you two."

How obsessed could these people be?

"So what?" my voice thick with annoyance.

"So, how did you learn..." she stops for a moment to think, then clicks her tongue. "Danish."

Caitlin scoffs at that, muttering. "Din sorgliga, patetiska slyna."

The devil's horns pick up on that, not even understanding any of it as she grits her teeth like a goat and shoots her a glare.

"The fuck did you say, you whore of a surgen?" She begins taking steps toward her as she flicks the knife between her jewerely filled fingers. As my instincts say to rush forward and protect my sister, the logic tells me of a child in my arms that could be in much larger danger than an adult with a long tongue.

I have no need to double over an answer for a long time, because either way Meredith is stopped and pulled back.

She blinks once as Lilah pushes her away. "What are you doing?"

She rips her hand as if it burns both of them, clenching her jaw and letting freaky smiles rest on her. "Having fun with our pets. What does it fucking look like?"

"Landon said-"

"Oh, Landon said." She mocks with an obnoxiously loud voice, making a disgustingly strange expression. "Landon our lord and savior speaks and we must bend down when the words kneel leave his mouth. Oh, Landon, what would we do without him? Rot and die."