29

We were seated at the back of the theater when the movie opens with a scene of a science lab.

To further my misfortune, I was seated between Deja and Grayson. Deja, who was on my right, was looking down at her phone. To my left, Grayson chews loudly on a kernel of popcorn.

I glare daggers at him.

"Do you want some?" He asked, moving the popcorn closer to me while his eyes remained focused on the movie.

"Okay." I reach my hand in and take a handful of popcorn.

I would have gotten my own, but I didn't think that tickets to the movies costed fifteen dollars and I didn't have enough for popcorn and a drink. I was better off without the drink, seeing as I didn't want to have to go to the bathroom mid-movie to relieve my bladder.

At the sound of blaring sirens coming from the theatre's surround sound system, I turn my eyes to the screen. Of course, the scientists on screen had accidentally created a zombie while trying to resurrect a dead body. I guess, in a way, they succeeded.

With my eyes glued to the screen, I reach for more of Grayson's popcorn when his hand brushes with mine. I quickly retract my hand in a panic and set it down on my lap.

I cannot with him right now.

There's this weird tension between us. I didn't know how I felt about it, or about him, or even about the fact that that we made out in the woods whilst on a camping trip.

I don't get this. And I certainly don't get the annoying enigma that is Grayson Scott.

He's just messing with me. That's what this is; him messing with my head. He has clearly devised some kind of plan to ruin my life. I don't know how him ruining my life ties in with him making out with me, but they're definitely connected.

"Aw, he just wanted his wife back." Deja frowned beside me.

"It was so sad how she called his name but then she turned rabid." Grayson added. I turn to face him, confused at him.

Did he really just say that?

"Don't you agree?" He turned and asked me, his eyes staring into my very soul.

I gulped before answering. "I guess?"

"Rebecca, please. It's me, John." The scientist on the screen says, begging his wife with tearful eyes to not kill him. Rebecca, who was growling like a vicious dog, sunk her teeth into his arm. He screamed out in pain.

When his zombified wife retreated away from him, his dying words were "I'm sorry, my love."

Thus began the zombie virus.

"Why did they have to make the intro sad?" Aisha sniffled from the other side of Grayson.

"I know, right?" Added Deja, taking a slurp from her large-sized cup of cherry flavoured cola.

Twenty years later... The next scene showed in dystopian themed letters graffitied on a rusting wall.

There's now a teenaged girl running away in a panic beside a guy around the same age as her. Her auburn hair bounces with every running step that she takes. "Race you to the wall?" She asks the guy through panted breaths. Whilst running, her turns his face to her with a smile on his face. "Always."

The view shows them running and turning down a corner before zooming out slowly, revealing a large, dystopian city that was bordered by a large wall.

The guy runs ahead of the girl and is the first one to place his hand on the wall.

"I swear one day I will beat you, Carver." The girl says out of breath.

"You wish, Hope." He flexes his arms.

In the dark, halfway through the movie, a hand that isn't mine rests on my upper left thigh, causing my breath to catch in my throat. The current scene is being filmed In a dark tunnel, which made it impossible to see the hand. But I didn't need to see it to know who it belonged to.

When the scene brightens, I smack his hand away and stand abruptly on my good foot that wasn't sprained.

"I need to go to the restroom." I said, reaching down to the floor where I had set my crutches.

I didn't actually need to use the restroom. I'm not an idiot. Only idiots drink liquids before watching a movie, no offence to majority of the people that were currently in the theatre.

I retrieve my crutches and hastily limp my way to the aisle.

In all honesty, I was panicking.

When I finally made it to the bathroom, I stand in front of the mirror and shake my head, resting my crutches against the vanity as i stood firmly on one foot.

I should just go home.

I can text Deja and say that I had to go home due to an emergency. No, not a bathroom emergency.

Crap. I can't write that now. All she's going to get from that is that I had a bathroom emergency.

I sighed.

I guess I could tell her something else, like, what if I tell her that my house caught on fire?

I curse the mirrored version of myself.

I can't say that. She knows where I live, all she has to do is drive past and then she'll know that I lied.

The door to the men's restroom opens, revealing Grayson, who enters and takes me by the wrist, dragging me to the nearest stall. Inside, he sets my back against the side wall as he closes the door and locks it.

My heart stammered as he moved forward and kissed me.

It's not exactly the most sanitary place to make out, but okay

His right hand sneaks beneath my shirt and creeps upward, lightly grazing against my skin, sending a chilling sensation throughout my entire body.

What is happening right now?

Dallas, stop.

No... Don't stop.

His hand journeyed from the middle of my chest and made it's way around my side and down to my waist.

I let out a soft and breathy moan as the sound of the restroom door interrupted us.

Grayson pauses, his eyes looking into mine.

What if they see our shoes? I thought.

I quietly and quickly step onto the rim of the toilet, grimacing.

This is mortifying.

I hope I don't slip in.

When the coast was finally clear, Grayson let out a chuckle as he helped me down. He leans in again. Panicked, I gently push him away. "I have to go." I tell him.

"Oh." He inhales sharply before opening the stall and walking out. I limp over to get my crutches and quickly leave the bathroom.

When exiting the restroom, I turned left to head out of the cinema. I'll text Deja later and make up some believable excuse as to why I left early.

"Dallas, wait." Grayson's voice called out as I slip through the opened entrance door before it could close and start down the steps to the sidewalk.