51

Churches have always creeped me out, yet, at the same time, I had found them to also have a relaxing quality.

But not at this moment. All I could feel was dread.

I'm standing outside of the church, dressed in a black suit and tie, and the rain is pissing down from dark and gloomy clouds that gathered overhead.

Reluctantly, I make my way inside.

There's an opened casket on the altar, though from my point of view, It looked as if it was empty. I wished that it was empty, but the large photo standing beside the casket told me that it wasn't.

That this was his funeral.

In the picture, he's smiling. Not the kind of forced smile where you can see teeth, but the kind of smile that made it seem like everything would be alright, like he was here with me.

But he wasn't.

He was gone.

And it was all my fault.

As I make my way down the aisle, I look at the guests who are already seated. I don't recognise any of these people. Perhaps they were his distant family members?

And why is Melissa McCarthy here?

I walk up to the opened casket and cautiously look inside.

There's a body inside, but it didn't belong to Grayson.

It belonged to me...

I wake up gasping for air, my forehead slick with night sweat as I sit upright.

It was just a bad dream. Thank god.

At least it wasn't another dream about the accident. No, they weren't dreams. They were a memory.

One that has since haunted me.

It has been almost four months now.

My mom was in remission, and Grayson was alive and in a coma.

Today's the day that he'll wake up. I tell myself. I've been telling myself that every morning since he was taken to hospital.

The driver of the vehicle that had almost hit me, and ended up hitting Grayson, had survived. If you can even call being sentenced to prison for drunk driving 'surviving'. He ended up with a broken clavicle and a set of fractured ribs. Grayson, on the other hand, suffered a major blow to the head and ended up with a fractured spine.

A lot has changed the past few months.

I got a job at a bookstore/cafe across town, after telling my parents that I wanted to leave school, to which they were initially against, but decided that I could do whatever I wanted to. I didn't entirely leave school, though. My teachers agreed, after a lot of convincing, that I could do my schoolwork from the comfort of my own home. That way, I could still one day maybe go to a college of my choice.

Hannah and Jake were an official couple! Which, if I say so myself, is truly amazing. I'm happy for them.

And It had turned out that the photo of Grayson and I that was posted on the anonymous forum was taken down, but not before the culprit was discovered to be someone that I never expected.

None other than Aisha Johnson, who, confessed to Principal Baker after Grayson's run in with a drunk driver's car.

She even apologised to me about it, claiming that she did it because she was jealous, and that she couldn't live with the guilt.

Mitchell, to my surprise, had gotten accepted into four out of six colleges that he applied to. UCLA, Stanford, Duke and a University in Washington which I do not remember the name of.