21. Imagine - Emotional

[ Sad Fact ] — Interview

He's the most emotional person in Attack on Titan.

"I don't even think he has emotions," chuckles Fioana, one of the female soldiers in your squad, and pulls a fresh shirt over her head

Her friend laughs. "Of course not. The guy doesn't care about anything."

You snort contemptuously. The two have been talking about Captain Levi like this since the beginning of your cadet days. And while you were similarly fancied at first, you quickly realized that he's not at all heartless, cold, or any of the other things people claim he is.

With an angry expression on your face, you walk out of the showers and make your way towards rooftop.

It's pretty cold outside, but you don't care when you see that Levi is already sitting on the wall.

"Hey Captain." you mumble and sit down next to him.

He hums but otherwise remains quiet.

You look up at the sky and understand that he probably doesn't want to talk.

He couldn't save one of his comrades today and you knew he felt guilty even though he didn't show it. You can see it in his eyes. The guilt, pain, sadness. It has always been there.

"I rescued a baby cat off the streets when I was little," you tell him. "I gave her the name Meow. Pretty stupid, but I liked it at the time." you chuckle a bit and stretch your legs.

Levi looks at you unobtrusively from the side.

"One morning I wanted to go to the market with my father to buy her a collar. I used to lock her in my room when I left the house, but it was so nice and warm that I allowed her to stay outside in the garden." you look at him

There's an emotion in Levi's eyes that tells you he knows what you're getting at, yet you keep talking.

"When we got home I found her dead on the side of the road." you look down as images of her bloody fur flood into your mind. "She was hit by a carriage."

Levi looks ahead again.

"I felt so guilty for letting her out." you look at him again with a steady gaze and wait for him to look you in the eye.

When he does, you continue.

"I let her out Levi. But I didn't kill her. She was a cat, she wanted to play outside." you take his hand in yours.

Inwardly, you wipe the invisible sweat from your forehead when he doesn't slap your hand away. You were more or less friends, but even though he was only a few years older and you knew how much he cared and felt, he was still your captain.

"We all knew what we were getting into every time we left the walls." you say and squeeze his hand. "You may want to hide it, but I can see that you're hurt. You don't have to talk yet, but I want you to know that I'm here for you."

He's quiet for a long time and you're about to get up when he squeezes your hand once.

"Thanks."

The most coldest person in the world is often the person who has the biggest heart