7.

I got to the office early, hoping to get a head start on my work before Mr. Hayes got there. Sitting at my desk, I nervously chewed the eraser of my pencil as I scrolled through all the emails, sorting them by urgency. I began to schedule Mr. Hayes' upcoming weeks, meeting after meeting. I didn't envy his life.

I sipped my coffee and sat back in my comfy chair, running my hands through my brown curls lazily. I was tired, there was no denying that. I got home from Lilacs at 1am and woke up at 5:30am to get here by 6. The office was quiet, I made a note to myself to get here early more often. The drive was easier, the view from the office even more beautiful, and I could manage to avoid the looks of all the beautiful women at AKMO who saw me as wholly undeserving of my proximity to Mr. Hayes. I was used to competitive female environments, that part didn't bother me, though I wish we didn't all feel pitted against each other.

I heard the door to Mr. Hayes office click open, voices filled the room. What sounded like laughter echoed through the hallway. Laughter? I was so sure Mr. Hayes was completely incapable of such an act. I quietly tiptoed to my door, cracking it open just enough to peek one eye out. Mr. Hayes was standing by his desk, the man I remembered as Jackson stood across from him with the same goofy smile. They talked like old friends. Mr. Hayes' lips curved upwards at the sides as he fought back a smile. Jackson playfully punched his shoulder. Mr Hayes rolled his eyes in response before sitting down in his chair and opening his laptop, ignoring Jackson's childish games. Jackson's eyes wandered toward my office. I quickly shut the door, scrambling to my desk just in time.

Knock! Knock!

"Door is open!" I called in response, quickly pulling myself together and positioning my hands on the keyboard as if I were mid-email.

"You're here early for a negligent assistant," he smiled, walking into my office. He leaned against my wall casually, as if this were the usual morning ritual and we hadn't just met last night.

"What type of errands are you running for Mr Hayes today? Dropping off new stilettos for the receptionist, perhaps?" I raised an eyebrow at him, he chuckled in response.

"No, just dropping off a coffee for Mr. Hayes," he winked at me, a smirk growing on his face. I rolled my eyes and huffed dramatically in response. Clearly he knew the whole story, though I had hoped he had been kept in the dark.

"Shut up," I glared at him, only making him chuckle more. He was even more handsome when he laughed.

"Jackson!" Mr. Hayes deep voice echoed through the hallway.

"In here!" Jackson shouted over his shoulder, showing no intention of moving from his place in my office. His broad shoulder leaned against my wall, a smirk still evident on his face as he watched me with amusement. I could already tell this was going to be our relationship, sarcastic banter and endless smirks. I wasn't mad about it.

Heavy footsteps sounded in the hallway before Mr. Hayes appeared at my door, looking curiously between a smirking Jackson and me.

"Stop distracting Lillian," Mr. Hayes said pointedly at Jackson, though his eyes weren't as serious as his tone.

"Why?" Jackson looked at him blankly, "It's so much more fun than talking to you." Mr. Hayes was now the one rolling his eyes and shaking his head. I could tell that their relationship exceeded office banter, they were friends. It was obvious. Mr. Hayes was the brooding quiet one, handsome but mysterious. Jackson was the yin to his yang, charming and sweet, a real smooth talker. I could just see the power duo they would make picking up girls at a bar.

"I'm not paying you to distract my assistant," the way he said 'my' sent an immediate shiver down my spine. I stopped myself from thinking about it any further.